Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing the 208 fluid...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 18, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How often should I do it? What do I fill it with? ATF? The fill and drain plugs are those big bolt heads on the rear of the case right?

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Bottom hole is drain plug top one is fill/check hole. For the 208 its ATF.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks, never changed it myself and I doubt the guy before me maintained it that well so I'll do that as soon as the weather is nice again. Should do my SM465 sometime soon too but my dad will know how to do that and all. Hes just not a big 4wd guy.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Do yourself a favor and buy one of those suction pumps that look like a grease gun without the handle. Filling a 208 is a real pain in the butt because the fill hole is in a hard to reach spot.

With the suction pump you can suck up a quart of ATF at a time and shoot it into the fill hole. Also, when you're getting setup to drain a 208 remember that ATF flows a lot easier than 10w30 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Make sure your catch pan is farther back from the drain plug than when you change your oil- trust me when I tell you ATF shoots out with a lot of force from a 208....... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I service my 208 once a year, but I'm pretty strict with my maintenance. FWIW, I service my axles and 700 yearly as well.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeh I just changed and cleaned my rear axle this past weekend. When I discovered the 2.8 gear ratio! Gonna get new front and rear axle so I am not too worried about servicing the oens i Have.

6. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Make sure your catch pan is farther back from the drain plug than when you change your oil- trust me when I tell you ATF shoots out with a lot of force from a 208....... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in the world were you last summer when I started my drivetrain swap, huh? I pushed the cardboard aside in foolish pride knowing I could handle that one... no obstacles around. Didn't register with me how big the hole might be when using my monster wrench to remove the plug.

Sploish, gush, mess. 5 minutes into a 3 month project. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sorry I wasn't there for you, brother..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let's just say that my oil change coveralls are a constant reminder of my very first 208 service, and that was a long time ago. ATF stains are almost as persistent as gear oil stains. But that's another story....... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, have a question. Me and another person on this board just serviced our 208's We both noticed we appeared to be a couple of pints over full. I discovered this when I went to check the fluid level and got a bath when I removed to top fill plug /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif He had his serviced and the shop told him his was over 2.5 pints.
    Is the tranny to xfer case seal bad, and if so, is this a big problem or a dont worry about it problem /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif