Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing the rear main seal (1PC)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 19, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

My rear main seal is leaken pretty bad and I plan to change the tranny in the next month or two. But I have no idea how to change it. I do know that I have a 1pc rear main seal though could someone please give me a dummy step by step procedure list? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The only hard part is dropping the tranny. After that you just pry out the old one, put some rtv on the outter rim of the new one as well as some oil or grease on the actual seal, and pound it in.

3. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Remove trans/trans case.
    Remove flywheel
    Pull seal from block with seal puller
    Inspect crank surface and clean block where seal seats
    Apply sealant to outer diameter of seal
    Lube seal and crank
    Drive seal in place with seal driving tool
    Reinstall flywheel,trans/trans case

Things to look out for,groove in crank surface,if grooved deeply new seal will also leak,they make a repair kit called a speedy sleeve which is a thin band of metal that is driven over the damaged area on the crank and gives the seal a new surface to ride on. I also use aviation form-a-gasket(also known as high-tack)on the surface of the seal that contacts the block. DO NOT USE SILICONE.I have seen seals pop back out before the silicone can setup. It is to slick.
    Hope this helps

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys that helped alot for some reason I though there was somthing special to changing it i have changed seals before but never the rear main thanx agin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I went to the autozone site to see about what there going for($17.99) and they have 2 1 ruber 1 teflon there the same price and made by felpro which do yall recoment or do yall think I should go to the Chevrolet dealer OR look for a differnt brand(as far as a know felpro is a good gasket though)

wasted wages nice K5 I bet that blower comming though the hood gets some looks on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif... or anywhere else u go

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use the teflon seal, and it is recommended by the seal manufacturer to NOT put any sealer on the outside edge.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Use the teflon seal, and it is recommended by the seal manufacturer to NOT put any sealer on the outside edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif on that one.

Use the teflon seal if available for everything.

If you go to autozone, don't just let him look it up in the computer, go to the Fel-Pro catalog, it lists the no less than three rear seals available for the 1 pc RMS motor.