Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing those side panels

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ColAdo82K5, Feb 18, 2000.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey all you audio guys,
    I'm planning on taking out my side panels in my 82 blazer. I will put 6x9's in front of the rear seat and put 10" (maybe 12's) free air subs, one on each side, in the back. (i will be putting my spare tire some where else) Any one done this before ? I'll be replacing the vinyl with some black audio carpet to match my black floor carpet. ideas ? (Go Pioneer gear !!)
    Colonel Ado

2. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

If you do it soon let us know how it works out. What do you plan on using to baffle in the fender area behind the sub's to prevent unwanted vibe's? I know there is Dynamat but it seems kinda' expensive. I was thinking of a polyfill type foam like you use around plumbing in your home. It may eat up alot of air space but It should dampen the rattles pretty well. I'm gonna' swing by a stereo shop this afternoon and see what they suggest...

Good Luck,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

3. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

O.K. Talked to the installer at a custom stereo shop today about putting sub's in the side panels. He didn't think it was a good idea because he thought the inner sheetmetal might be weakened too much. He was in favor of a shallow box that ran up the side of the wheel well instead(I think that was the "easy out" answer[​IMG]). They did have some pictures of a 'burb (post '91) that had a pair of 10"s installed in one fender. Basically they just cut away all the inner sheetmetal, fiberglassed the entire fender in, created a mdf mounting surface ('glassed in to form a sealed enclosure), and covered it to match the interior. Looked pretty slick. He also suggested only putting sub's in on one side to keep them from cancelling each other out (I can buy that arguement). The box idea isn't all bad. I had been considering building a trail box on one side anyway so I could just make a matched pair with a sub in the other. However, at this point, I still think I'm gonna' try a solo 10" in one panel...

My 2 Cents,

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Joe has a good Idea for speaker boxes but....if you get that stuff (MDF) medium density fibreboard wet the stuff swells and turns to sh$% real guick, I'd recommend a good quality marine grade plywood...WK (in this case stands for Wood Knowledge)

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Dude, did that exact trick last year. Used 5/8" particle board, took my time making them fit EXACT. put the 6X9's in the front area (theoretically by the passenger's knee) and the 10" MTX woofers right behind the wheelwell. Had to put another 5/8" ring around them to get the backspacing I needed, but it worked perfect. With enough screws, the carpet I used to upholster them with, and, like I said, patience in making it fit just right, they THUMP. No vibration, nothing, same as a sealed box without the room taken up. Being driven by a Fosgate 150 punch amp, by the way, front end is a Pioneer CD/AM/FM..........kicks rear, total of 6 speakers, 200 watts total. Plenty enough for me, can't handle the 1000 watt systems any more.........must be getting old !!! LOL....good luck.

Blazer #5 - A sickness worth investing in!! :-)

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

MDF will have much better "acoustic" properties than marine plywood. It's much denser, with no voids like plywood. When you get the box all finished, just give it a coat of fiberglass resin. That makes it air tight and waterproof. The resin can be finished to whatever smoothness you desire then painted or covered with vinyl or carpet.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.html

7. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by JoeAngelicchio

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you coat the entire box (I'm assuming a complete box is being used) with 'glass resin, it really becomes "waterproof" and airtight. Airtight is a concern for the best possible sound, glassing is just one way to achieve this and waterproofing at the same time. Urethane would probably do OK as long as the boxes never got really wet. Glassing isn't much more difficult or expensive, and it has worked well for me. I wouldn't want to spend all that time getting some nice boxes, and have the rain do 'em in.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

9. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by JoeAngelicchio

10. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Pulled my left rear speaker and panel today and found that there is no sheetmetal directly behind the upholstered piece so I don't have to do the cutting I thought I would [​IMG]. I guess it also goes to show that the installer I talked to on Friday doesn't know his ear hole from his a... Anyway, It looks like there is roughly 4" between the inner fender lining and the interior panel so a shallow 8" or 10" sub mounted on a 3/4" to 1" mdf board should fit and only require giving up an 1" or 2 of cargo space. Also means I should be able to do a killer flush mount on my amp on the opposite side. Cool! Time to break out the checkbook [​IMG] ....

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Check this out. 5/8" particle board, mounted to the sheet metal and framing with about 30 screws.......housing 10" MTX Thunder woofers. No vibration, even with RUSH cranking.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

12. KP3100

KP3100 Registered Member

I did it and I love it. I had 8-MTX in boxes on the floor behind the front seats. It was alright when I had two people riding, but when it came to putting people in the back it bacame a hassle. So I un screwed the side panels cut out holes to fit the 8 inchers and screwes them down they look and sound great.

13. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Ado -Depending on how much space you are willing to give up in the rear, you could have a look at my installation. The sidepanel from the door to the tailgate were replaced with a sheet of Superwood 16mm thick. The front part (up to the rear seat's backrest) is widened to "box" the tyrewell. This is a great place to sink those Amps, X-overs, woofers, Cd-changers etc. into. The rear 15" sub-enclosures are separate boxes that bolt to the sides and can be removed easily for loading purposes. Everything is built from 16mm Superwood, sealed with marine varnish and then covered with accoustic cloth. Just some ideas for you to play with - have fun.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

VERY nice setup.........a good alternative to leave SOME room for stuff! lol

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]