Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing tires by hand.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 23, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow! Those TSLs are really holding to those 15x10s! I'm starting to think that the 15x8s I ordered are going to be too narrow. I may never get them broken down once mounted! [​IMG] With no valve stems in the wheels, I pulled my back tire up on the TSL, and it just sat there. Jumping on the truck didn't help. So, I took the hi-lift, centered at the back of the frame, and jacked both back tires off the ground, still didn't pop the bead. With both back tires off the ground on a hi-lift (yes, I was carefull and stayed clear) jumping on the frame was not an option. I guess there is just not enough weight back there without a body. I broke my boards I was using as a ramp while fooling around in the back, and the front does not have the clearance to use the hi-lift on the big wide 42", so my day ended with no progress on unseating the tires.

Tomorrow I'm going to drop by Home Depot to pick up a couple of landscaping timbers for ramps. I started to just drive a front tire up on it but I was concerned that I would damage my new tires. [​IMG] I found a place locally that sells the hand tools (tire hammer and tire irons) for mounting big rig tires (about $150+ for the whole setup) so I may get that just to have it. I'm hoping to find a set of those Ausi "tyre plyers" though.

So, much for my first attempt at changing 42" TSLs by hand. [​IMG] Anyone tried the "tyre plyers" (or however they spell it)?

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't think those will work for that size tyre mate, but I'm not sure...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. BadDog

Just guessing, your talking about the tyre plyers. [​IMG] I thought they worked on anything from car tires to the big out-back trucks. Or are you just making fun? [​IMG]

Russ

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Let me know how it goes w/ either setup 9big rig stuff, or plyers) cause im getting sick and tired of mounting and balancing tires at the shops, gettin too expensive.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

83 Chevy, 350, sm465, lincoln locked14ff, (soon to be- spooled dana 60, flatbed,and 39.5" TSL's)

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I had a set of 36/15/15 Cepeks mounted on a set of 8" wide rims. I couldn't get the tire to fit the bead-braker at work (tire was too big). So I got creative with it [​IMG], I let the rack down on it, then let the rack down on it with a car on the rack, then tried the same deal with the 4-post alignment rack, then I tried b!tching about it, still couldn't bust the bead. I had to send the tires out to a tire-shop with better eqiupment than we had at the time. (I did chew-up the bead area on one of the tires., but it was still usable)

BTW, I don't care how meny times I see tires spelled like tyres. That just doesn't look right, so I'm sticking with- tires.
    Call me a rebel- [​IMG]

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

6. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

man Those tools should work. I can change any kind of automotive or heavy equipment tires with those kind of tools its kinda fun but would not want to do it for a living.
    colin

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Tire hammer and bars is the only way to fly when mounting or dismounting tires.
    I have done hundreds of semi tires and quite a few smaller rig tires with them.
    I can have a truck tire off and a new one one in less than 5 minutes.
    Of course seating them is another story, I use a blast cannon at work, but have used ether on quite a few occassions.
    My buddy made a cannon from a semi air tank and cut out and welded a 1 1/2 pipe on it, a large gate valve and 120 psi
    seats them real quick. he had to make a flange for the end so it spreads the air. if you go to a place that sells the hammer and stuff they should have one. look it over and make yer own. My buddy's cost $30 to make.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

8. BadDog

Hehe, I don't think I'll have too much trouble seating the 42s on 8" wheels. Problem, I think, will be wedging those puppies on there. The 8" wheel is really going to suck in the side walls. We'll see.

Russ

9. BadDog

Well, I decided on the extra-narrow wheels to help avoid the need for bead locks. With the trouble you went through, and what I experienced yesterday, who the heck needs bead locks!!! [​IMG] Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not the same driving a 4000+ lb pig, turning, twisted up, and on the gas...

Russ