Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing tranny crossmember w/out dropping tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Oct 30, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

This won't harm anything will it? 400 tranny/208 case, I have to put in my old crossmember since the new one doesn't clear the front driveshaft. Just wanted to ask so I don't mess anything up.

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

No, it shouldn't hurt anything. You could put a jack under it if you're worried, but the motor mounts and t-case crossmember will hold it up while you remove the tranni crossmember.

Thomas.

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Uhh-oh, my transfer case crossmember is missing, I've got a crossmember where the tranny and t-case mount together, nothing else. But I'll use the jack just in case. Thanks

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

no, thats right...just put a jack under the rear snout of the t-case and it'll be all good.

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I would support either the case or tranny (as close to the middle as possible) if you're not taking out the adapter.

If you are taking out the adapter, that's a different (more complicated) story.

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

No problem doing this. This past weekend my transmission was held up with a jackstand for a day until I could get the crossmember in place with the new tranny mounts. I have the back crossmember, but it doesn't support the t-case (I assume this is normal). There is a gap between the back of the NP203 and the crossmember and it does not touch. The only support is both sides of the engine and two mounts where the transmission and t-case match up (under the adapter).

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

DOH! What was I thinking? LOL ... yea, ummm .... that's right, there's only one crossmember under there /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I agree, support it with a jack. I just removed mine on Saturday when I lowered it. I just put a jack under the back of the t-case and it was fine.

Thomas.