Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Changing U Joints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JW86, Sep 16, 2003.

1. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Need to replace the U-Joints - 86 K5 4spd 305... Never done it, do i need special tools? What is procedure, is it a big deal or what? a description of whats involved would help. I will also run a search, but any info would be appreciated!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you still have the stock joints you'll need a torch to melt the plastic out of the yokes. Then pound the new joints in, put the clips in, crack the yoke once with the hammer so if it's bound up it'll release, and if it's a greasable joint, grease it and go beat on it.

According to sources here, your driveshaft should have 1350 series joints, which would make the part number 2-0053 for the joints. Make sure they give you the right ones as supposedly it makes a difference for 80s trucks.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

bench vice and sockets is safe and easy way, one socket to fit around cap size so cap will slide into it, and another socket smaller than cap bore size in yoke, to press cap through, youll figure it out, use a little oil and/or heat, if worse comes to worse then cut the u joint legs off with torch, but be careful because it doesnt take much heat before the cap on those injection plastic retained u joints for the cap to blow out of the yoke like a bullet leavinh a gun barrell.

stay oput of line with cap when heating up to melt plastic or to get caps pressed out, ive almost been hit twice to date- pretty much point blank both times, very close and it would have hurt ! when you are heating them up to get the plastic out, use just a little at first and stop, then a little more after a little bit and let it snake out of the hole for a couple seconds and dont go crazy on heat, theres not as much plastic int here as you might think, one it starts coming out, then immediately get rid of heat and go away for a few minutes. and then heat up the next one and do the same

howeverif you you are daring and want to get the caps out fast, then get helmet and leather on and hold torch on yoke atthe cap and lay the flameon it and look away and stay out of line of the cap where its going to come flying out at until it goes !boom!

but dont have a vehicle orperson in the garage that you care about though..

all done

4. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

THANKS for the advice. so stupid question, but your talking about a vice, does that mean i have to take the drive shaft out? sorry, not much experience on the stuff past the flywheel!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Yes you do, if your making a reply like this maybe you should take your truck someplace to get fixed. Sorry if i sound like a prick but it would be money better spent getting it fixed correctly. or better yet do you have a buddy who "knows what he is doing" Hook him up with a six pack or so and he can show you how to replace the u joint. It would suck to mess up a drive shaft and have to get a new one

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

One small tip since this is your first time...

Put blocks/tire chocks under the tires. Then put the transmission or tcase into nuetral before trying to pull your driveshaft. Otherwise it will be a btch to get out and the truck will roll over you after the transmission is no longer connected to the axles!

7. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Hmm. yeah, will find someone who has a clue... sometimes you gotta pick your battles, dont want to get run over either... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

It's really not that hard...I suggest doing it yourself. It really isn't that complicated. You have to start somewhere else you will never learn. Just have patience and don't bend the ears of the yoke.

9. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Isnt there some law against Aggies giving advice to each other (TAMU 87)? I will probably do it myself with some help, but whats involved in getting the drive shaft out? Maybe thats where i should start!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Haha, you should join TAMOR (Texas A&M Off-Road) if you like to wheel.

First off, what U-Joints are we changing? Rear driveshaft, front drive shaft, or axle shafts?

I'm assuming you have an NP208 for a transfer case. Look under your truck and see if you have an all aluminum case. Also, if it is a 208 the drive shaft itself shouldn't have a slipshaft, the yoke will be a slip shaft it self.

If you have a 208 it is easier, but messy.

Let me know what U-Joints your changing and I can help better.

I did a huge RV's U-Joints at the Arkansas game in the parking lot. - Doug

11. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Thanks. yeah, its the rear drive shaft and a 208. dont think they are original as have clips not plastic caps.
    JW

12. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks. yeah, its the rear drive shaft and a 208. dont think they are original as have clips not plastic caps.
    JW

[/ QUOTE ]

Rear driveshaft should be a good one to learn on. The driveshaft is easy to get off, so you can take your time getting the U-joints out at a bench. I assume yours is like mine, so you just unscrew the straps on the diff side and then you can pull the driveshaft right out of the T-case. Just have some rags read to stick in the T-case hole because oil will start coming out.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TRANNY FLUID will start coming out. Don't say oil and confuse him!

14. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just jack the back end up off the ground a little and put it on jackstands, chock the front wheels and put the tcase in 4wd and the trans in gear..keep the fluid from coming out and truck from rolling away..

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TRANNY FLUID will start coming out. Don't say oil and confuse him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont say Tranny fluid! Say Transfer case fluid, that looks like Tranny fluid! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Thanks Guys. will hopefully have some time over the weekend to get the thing out! I gotta BFH in case there is any difficulties /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Always appreciate the advice!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif