Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chaps my neather reigions!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nothing blazer related (well there is a Tahoe in it) and not the right place but just makes me mad. On my way to my night gig I'm rolling down I75 through Atlanta. In Atlanta we fly low everywhere if you didn't know. Speed limit signs are a waste of cash because nobody pays them any attention. If you going 10 over the limit your getting passed by 90% of the other vehicles. So I'm moving with traffic at 75 in a 55 (we often mistake the I75 signs as 175mph) and watching for the cops and laying low not driving like an idiot just moving with the flow making good time. Look in my review and way back I see a dark colored Tahoe with a Light bar. Here in GA the police run blues only and I have never seen a GA Tahoe for any of our Local law enforcement. The Tahoe had Red and blue and knew is wasn't any threat to me and didn't lift much off the gas and neither did anybody else. It is catching up real quick in the left normal lane. As it gets closer I notice 4 other different Police vehicles tucked in behind it all from different locations most from Illinois. These jerks blow past me running atleast 90 mph. No joke I was still near 75 mph in my Supra and this train of cars was moving enough air that it was like getting passed by a Semi with the air they were displacing. Single officer in each vehicle and using the HOV lane as a passing lane. No offence to the officers here but WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Are all cops above the law in police vehicles?!?!?!?!?!?! These guy were I'm sure on the way to some sort of meeting somewhere down south but why does a police vehicle mean the traffic laws do not apply when clearly these vehicle were not on patrol in the wrong state some 650 miles out of their jurisdiction. It's kind of hard to respect the law when the cops don't respect the law when their not on duty.
    Just had to get it off my chest.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

2. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Could have been heading to FLETC in Brunswick GA. Thats the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Border Patrol, U.S. Marshals, ATF, and many other agencies along with police from across the country go there to train. Yes it sucks the way the do that. All the Police in GA go to the place in Forsyth, GA. I see them on friday afternoon hauling ass back to the house for the weekend.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

It's sad but true in some places. However, in at three (and I suspect quite a few more) counties in KS the Highway Patrol will ticket any law enforcement, ambulance, fire truck or whatever if it's speeding without reason. I know of the three for sure because I've heard of actual cases. I think it should be that way in all 105 counties of the state. There always should be a higher authority or it's too easy to start thinking you're above the law.
    Just my humble opinion.

Cruisin in my '73.

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This hits an extremely sore spot with most law abiding (for the most part) drivers...I got a ticket from a Texas trooper who said I was doin' 57 in a 45...the digital dash was showin' 50...I knew this was a speed trap zone and was on the lookout and tucked in safely behind a minivan, or so I thought...I'm still chapped even tho it was 2 yrs ago...of course when I worked prisoner transport and drove from Eddyville Ky to Lexington...we pushed those BB Dodge cruisers to 125 regularly...having been in the "club" for a short time, I have less respect for those in law enforcement than I do for those in Used Car Sales...I guess this makes me a hypocrite...btw, when I was in the military, I saw a report that showed that the MOS (Military Occupational Skill)with the lowest GT score (IQ test)was Military Police...followed by cooks...this was true for Officers and Enlisted...go figure...JD

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

One of my buddies got a ticket for not using his blinker and his mom who was friends with the judge found the cop and follower him all day. She wrote down and took a picture every time be didn't use his blinker and it was something like 70 times in one day. My friend didn't get the ticket and the case was thrown out.

90K5

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Nope, they should not have been in the HOV lane or doing that speed. I speed both in a patrol car or in my own vehicles. The big catch here is that I DONT write speeding tickets, I am not a hypicrit (did I spell that right) Well, if I am doing 90 and you pass me, expect an ass chewing at the least and if your an [censored] about being stopped, expect a ticket.

As far as the Blue lights only, not at all. Clayton County Police have Blue and Red. There are a couple of municipalities that also have Blue and Red, so dont think you are safe because you see Red on that light bar. Here is another one for ya. GSP does not have to run in marked units to catch speeders. Most all the rules dont apply to GSP officers as far as the 500 ft for radar and marked units and not being able to write unless your 10 over the speed limit (unless you are in a school or construction zone, then anybody can and the $$$ for the fine go WAY way way up).

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

What I really hate seeing is an officer driving normally, encountering a red light, flipping the "entertainment" on, cruising through the light, then killing the lights and continuing on his/her merry way. There are obviously MANY law enforcement types who never learned "leadership by example".

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

What I think is really dumb is that when cops are off-duty they dont get pulled over either. In Dallas, they put a gold shield sticker on the back window and when a cop is going to pull you over but they see it they back off and leave you alone. A guy I used to work with's dad was a Sgt. in the Dallas PD and he told me about this. He also said he doesn't give many tickets either. I asked some of the cops at where I used to work (they did a night security guard thing) and they said they'd start giving tickets at 15 over.

90K5

9. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

The <font color=blue>blue club</font color=blue> does exist, Have a friend in the Arlington PD [DFW} area of Texas and many times we've been crusing in his 'vette at 100 mph and been pulled over, but with the badge next to the Drivers License..hmmm no tickets....I swear if I was a cop and another cop pulled that [censored] on me, I would do everything I could to arrest the A-hole[​IMG] Police have a tough job, leading by example should be their motto, and I know that not every Cop is like that but the majority of the ones I know do act that way when it comes to Traffic laws, wonder why????Dep dog any ideas??
    I was passed one day on the freeway by two crusiers doing I guess around 90 in traffic no lights, followed them the best I could, to a Dennys in south Ft Worth...must have been a short amount of time allowed for coffee breaks, or something you reckon!!!

White Knight

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Here in western NY the cops and emergency vehicles have red and white lights and the volunteer firemen have blue ones on their personal vehicles. The firemen have to obey all traffic laws and you don't have to yield to them if you don't want to (only and @sshole wouldn't) while they're in their regular cars. Well, I was in Memphis and I saw some blue lights coming up behind me REALLY fast and I figured it was a fireman on his way to a bad accident so I pulled over. It's a good thing I'm not an a-hole because it was a cop going to an armed robbery and I probably would have been in a bit of trouble.

On another note, I saw a county sherriff get pulled over by a state trooper for speeding one day!!! That was just too funny.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

There are ALWAYS two sides to every story , guys....while I'm sitting on my couch punching keys there are several GOOD men working and patrolling right now in ALL of our communities who can expect to deal with anything from the lowest criminal to the highest citizen and be expected to deal with BOTH with equal professionalism and be critiqued with hindsight every time! Can any of US imagine being second-guessed as much as cops are? Granted, this is written by a guy that drives 650 miles a week to work and I have BENT a few speed laws but I pay for it by actually PAYING ATTENTION and hav'nt had a ticket in 3 years A friend I grew up with was killed in the line of duty and I guess what I'm saying is DONT BE SO JEALOUS! There are morons in every profession, but ,by and large...most cops got into the profession because they want to HELP people.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Jealous? WTF?!?!?!? I'm Jealous that these guys are risking my life doing an easy 90 in a 55 when they obviously are not on a call chasing down a threat to the community. They were 650 MILES out of their juisdiction! I'm Pissed because they were driving like idiots and if you or I got caught at those speed we would be handed a $200 speeding ticket and probably hauled to jail, loose our license for a year and be charged with wreckless driving. I 450 miles a week (use to drive 600- 800 before I changed positions) and NEVER had a speeding ticket. Last ticket I had was 10 years ago involving a wreck that yes I was at fault for. Jealous I am not.
    I have plenty of respect for the officers. Depdog is a friend as well as an officer, So is my bud who was the crime scene Photographer for Cobb, Guy in my club is Local PD, Friend runs the computers for the GBI. I know plenty of people in law enforcement I also know several fire fighters and most, like Dep are just like me...they bend it a little and that I don't have a problem with that. I also understand that on silent alarm calls that cops will drive fast but with lights and sirens off and will hit the lights to go through intersections. They do this to give themselves the advantage of surprise so the comment about blowing lights was unfounded in one of the other posts and I do understand the other side of the coin about things like that bult like I said, 650 miles away from their juisdiction this was deffinatly not the case.
    Quite honesty, I personaly would never take that job especially at how under paid those people are for risking their lifes. My problem is 35 mph over the speed limit in heavy traffic using the HOV lane as a passing lane and drafting each other less than a car length between each car because they were in a hurry, not because they were doing their jobs. Me and 4 of my buds pulled that we would be in lock up waiting for somebody to post bail! Wish I had got tags and juisdictions...really wish I had a vid camera. Heck who knows maybe somebody here is with one of these agency's and knows these guys and will bless them out for being idiots on the road. Maybe somebody else did get the tags and took the time to make a few calls. Maybe one of the local officers was fed up with getting a bad name from idiots like these and pulled them over and told them so.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

13. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I know what you mean, the same thing goes on here in Austin. I like to mess with officers from other counties though. I have been known to pass them at 10-20 or so above the speed limit. I can almost always spot them, check out the county, and proceed to pass them. I know this pisses them off, but oh well, what can they do?? They can't write me up. Fyi, I haven't had a ticket in about 5-6+ years, and I drive/fly mostly over the speed limit, (I am not careless though). - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

14. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Well for one thing, have you ever noticed that cops DONT werar their safety belts? I can take camcorder shots all day of them here in MD doing this. I wonder if I could get out and give them a ticket for it? The Blue Club is a unspoken comradery of the badge. these guys look out for eachother everyday. I guess its a form of friendship among co-workers. If I owned ORD, BDS, Can-Bac, etc.... there would be some INSANE discounts for CK5 members.

15. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If ya see em doing something stupid like that, write down time, date and tag number of vehicle. Then call and ask for a supivisor and make a complaint. Most officers dont want to write another officer a ticket (including me) depends on what you were doing, I might call your supivisor and get you a good ass chewing or written repramand. Depends on how bad it was and if said person is an a--hole or not.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

16. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Sorry Grimmy...I must have not been reading close enough there. Probably brain fade from trying to get through Cleveland traffic everyday just to keep a roof over the family. You'd LOVE these jerks in Cleveland... fast lane?..yeah that's for 50 in a 60 zone and yappin' on the cell phone, right? They figure if they can back up a line of 17 cars then thats 17 people that they are more important than. I actually saw a guy going 45 in a 60 (fast lane of course) at night and watching a basketball game on a flip down flatscreen where the mirror would be in his Bonneville,not a cop to be found. Grrrr.

17. Must be all ohio cities!!!LOL I live in cicinatti and they do the same thing.When they actualy merdge onto the interstate they go to the fast lane and slow down!Burns my a$$!I'm from nashvile and they drive pretty fast there also,
    but if you just stay with the flow of traffic your OK.
    But on a diferent note my friend was an Ohio State Trooper,
    He pulled someone over for speeding.When he got up to the car he smelled weed so he ask them to get out of the car there were 4 of them.He radioed for back up and had them standing aginst the car.It turns out that one of the guys was a friend from high school.He was talking with him when one of the other guys tackled him and knocked him down they started kicking him and got his night stick away from him and beat him with it.When they were done they jumped back in the car and sped off,they broak his arm,leg and a few ribs.He was in the hospital for a little while,when he got out he had to go infront of a review board or something like that.He was fired for not shooting them!!No $hit.He told me that he tried but they were holding his arms and the one guy was just to strong for him,whn the were done he could'nt even hardly see them so he didn't fire his gun because he didn't feel safe about his aim.It was next to a busy highway and was afraid of shooting someone else in a passing car.What pi$$'s me off is that he was a good cop and was very proud of beeing one.I guess I could go on all day about this but I'll leave it at that,BTW dep dog thanks for being a cop it takes more guts than I'll ever have!!
    But like anything else your only human and a few of us hve some flaws!!LOL

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

18. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

There has to be a simple explaination as to why they were driving that fast.......like, I don't know.......maybe a grand opening of a new Dunkin' Donut shop !

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

19. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Grim,
    It would have been nice if you could have recorded this on tape. As far as I know law enforcement is still supposed to obey the laws just like the rest of us. (I am NOT jealous, most of the cops I've delt with really are pigs) The only exception to traffic laws, are in cases of emergencies, so even if it had been caught on tape, it's easy for them to invent something and brush it off. Here in San Diego cops kill people pretty often and NOTHING ever happens, the last time a cop was on trial it was for the death of his police dog because he left him inside the car during the summer heat.
    On the way to work this moring there were FOUR cops within one block, and another one about a mile away. They're regularly there nabbing people on the way to work. I drove by and I flipped them off. I don't think it's very benefical to society to harass people on their way to work, which by the way pays their salary. Just my opinion, I'm sorry if it offends, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.[​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Grim,
    Just to clarify, I was talking about when a cop is driving at normal speeds (flow of traffic) and "lights up" just to go through the stoplight. I've seen them do that at high-speed, and, like you said, that's different.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!