Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chapter 7 ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jan 21, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

can we still file cha[ter 7 or is that been changed since jan 1 or anything ?

chapter 7 is to stop interest from adding on and to put all debts into one payment right ??

thanks

2. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

chapter 7 is what im going through right now. you are thinking of chapter 13. you make one payment or payments for a certain amount of time and money. uncle sam gets his first then depending on how much time you have let over in making the payments it goes to your creditors.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have nothing of value and you're completely bankrupt, why wouldn't you just file to where all your debts are gone and start over?

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, go Chapter 7 and get a fresh start..........

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I dont think you could file chapter 13 with no income anyway.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    chapter 7 is what im going through right now. you are thinking of chapter 13. you make one payment or payments for a certain amount of time and money. uncle sam gets his first then depending on how much time you have let over in making the payments it goes to your creditors.

[/ QUOTE ]

thought 13 was the biggest and was the one that rid of all debts and is the hardest to get ?

ok,. my bad

[ QUOTE ]
    uncle sam gets his first

[/ QUOTE ]

really ?
    damn...
    bastards!
    how much they take? percentage ? portion ?

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have nothing of value and you're completely bankrupt, why wouldn't you just file to where all your debts are gone and start over?

[/ QUOTE ]

because they normally wouldnt let someone just go straight from being stuck in debt all the way clear over to ridding of it all scottr free, without first trying a chapter before, such as what i thought was 7- where you can stop interest from stacking and all debts consolidate into one payment plan.

get what im trying to explain ?

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont think you could file chapter 13 with no income anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

is reason wjhy im in debt in first palce,

cuz have had no income for almost two years! hah

im not sure why they would deny chapter filing with no income, just with 13, or ?

hmm...

thanks

9. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

i had to go and talk to a consumer credit counseler. and they talked to my creditors to get them to lower my interest on my debts. nowadays thats the only easy way to get your debt interest and payments lowered. my wife just lost her job so the plan that the counseler set up will not work for me anymore. and now i'm having to fill chapter 7 bankruptcy.

10. Chapter 7= You pay nothing,you might have to give items back,such as your car, if you do not want it. Creditors cannot touch you. Your credit is destroyed, remains on credit report for 10 years. Hard to file, depends on county, state etc...

Chapter 11= You work out a payment plan, you pay so many cents on the dollar. May still have to give things back. Credit is destroyed, remains on credit report for 7 years. More common to file.

Chap 13= I think is generally for busines owners.Not sure.

Individuals generally file 7 or 11. Either way your credit is finished for a while. Believe me, I know all about chap 7.

Mat

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Chapter 7= You pay nothing,you might have to give items back,such as your car, if you do not want it. Creditors cannot touch you. Your credit is destroyed, remains on credit report for 10 years. Hard to file, depends on county, state etc...

Chapter 11= You work out a payment plan, you pay so many cents on the dollar. May still have to give things back. Credit is destroyed, remains on credit report for 7 years. More common to file.

Individuals generally file 7 or 11. Either way your credit is finished for a while. Believe me, I know all about chap 7.

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 11 and 13 backwards I believe /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i had to go and talk to a consumer credit counseler. and they talked to my creditors to get them to lower my interest on my debts. nowadays thats the only easy way to get your debt interest and payments lowered. my wife just lost her job so the plan that the counseler set up will not work for me anymore. and now i'm having to fill chapter 7 bankruptcy.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM'd you /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    thanks

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

boy sure getting different answers on what chapter is what, i have been reading IL bankruptcy information site to see what each chapter is in IL and according to there chapter 7 is for individuals also, and is the one that stops the interest and turns everything into one payment

so i dunno,,

so is a credit counselor the better/best way to go then ? i would liek to stop all the interest though, most of what i am in debt with is all interest(of course) over about the last four years now., like 2/3 of it all is past interest tacked on.

i dont care what it does to my history, its already smeared crap ruined anyways, i couldnt care any less whatthey put on there if i filed .

so wjat should i do ? i have had zero income for almost two years now and no way to evne make one small payment towards any of it and not any way to for any foreseeable future now and its just piling on and on and only going to get worse and fast

14. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Chapter 7= You pay nothing,you might have to give items back,such as your car, if you do not want it. Creditors cannot touch you. Your credit is destroyed, remains on credit report for 10 years. Hard to file, depends on county, state etc...

Mat

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 11 and 13 backwards I believe /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yep,I Think 11 is for bussiness and 13 is personal for repaying some of the debt.7 will totaly erase all debt......

15. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]Yep,I Think 11 is for bussiness and 13 is personal for repaying some of the debt.7 will totaly erase all debt......

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct. I had to go through Chap 7 four years ago. As a recommedation from someone who went through it, if you are going to file, you might as well do 7 instead of 13. They both hurt equally after and are looked at as the same by future lenders.

16. I did have them backwards. Anyway, chap 7 is the way to go, unless, for example you are buying a house and want to keep it. If you dont want ANY debt left, do chap 7.

Mat

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyway, chap 7 is the way to go, unless, for example you are buying a house and want to keep it. If you dont want ANY debt left, do chap 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can still file a chap. 7 and keep your house.

18. Right. You can keep anything you want that has a lean on it, even things that you bought on a credit card. But...sometimes the creditors want it back, and if you dont have that item anymore try to make you pay for it. In my experience, creditors dont want to work with you, as in lower interest or payment amounts just so you can keep a item under chapter 7, they either want all or nothing.
    It hasent even been 7 years since my chap 7 and my credit is almost as good as before it, which was very good, but it took a lot of work.

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In my experience, creditors dont want to work with you, as in lower interest or payment amounts just so you can keep a item under chapter 7, they either want all or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you there. We had to file ch. 13 several years ago. I knew then what I know now, I would filed ch. 7 and nuked it all! We would have been far better of much sooner if we had done that.

20. I was lucky. I almost had to file 13, but they look at a bunch of factors and I was able to do chap 7. I really hate that I did it, but at the time I had no choice. I recommend to anyone not to file for any kind of bankruptcy, unless there is absolutely no other choice.