Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Charcoal Canister Hook Up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pontiacratrod, Apr 27, 2007.

1. pontiacratrod

pontiacratrod Registered Member

I Just Finished Installing Non Emissions Hei And Carb On An 86 1500 Gmc Burban And Now I Am Left With A Nightmare Of Vacuum Lines That Need To Be Capped And Plugged. My Problem Is That I Was Using My 84 3/4 Ton Burban As A Reference But I Have Come To Realize That It Doesnt Use A Charcoal Canister. I Have Also Noticed That The Canister Has Lines That Run Into Tee Fittings On Accessories That No Longer Exist, Like The Air Pump Etc... My Question Is How Do I Hook It Up To Insure That It Is Properly Venting The Gas Tank? What Lines Do I Need Coming Off Of It And What Dont I Need?
    Thanks In Advance...

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My canister just has the gas tank line going to it and another from the base of the TBI, nothing else.
    What's With All The Capitals?:D

3. pontiacratrod

pontiacratrod Registered Member

mine is carburated and has four lines running to a bunch of smog equipment. a friend of mine just told me to disconnect it all entirely and connect a fuel filter to the line running to the tank and vent it to atmosphere... sounds good to me...

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can do that, I don't know if I like the idea of it being open to atmosphere, since that will allow moisture in the tank.

EVAP setup is actually somewhat complex, since they are designed not to purge until the engine is running. (on EFI it's electrically controlled, earlier would be thermal vacuum switches probably) However, as Southernspeed mentioned, running it tank->cannister->engine seems to work.