Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

charcoal canister return lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imconfused, Jul 9, 2000.

1. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

I recently removed the emissions parts from my '85 K5 but do not know what to do with the return lines from the gas tank to the charcoal canister . Is it safe just to plug them or do they to "breathe"?? I obviously don't want to build up pressure in the tank but then again I don't like the idea of just leaving these lines open .

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I left the canister hooked up.

3. imconfused

I would have left it installed but wasn't quite sure how to run the lines. I just bought this about a month ago and the previous owner had already tore out some of the hoses and the little emissions sticker is no longer there .I also installed a new edelbrock carb which only confused me more . Does anyone have any advice on where to run the lines now that ALL the other emissions equipt. is gone

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

As you are looking at the engine from the front of the truck, there is a vacuum port on the lower left corner on the front of the carb. This goes to the EGR valve on the manifold. If you are not equiped with EGR then disregard it.

On the front of the carb, in the middle, at the bottom, there is a slightly larger vacuum port. This is your PCV valve connection.

Just above the PCV vacuum port, and tothe left a little, is the choke vacuum port. This line should only be about 3 inches long or so cause the choke vacuum brake is right there next to it.

Then in the front right lower corner there is another vacuum port. This one is the vacuum advance line which goes to the distributer.

5. imconfused

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I no longer have the quadrajet. I now have installed an Edelbrock 600 which only has (1) ported and (1) manifold vacuum source . I also changed the intake to Edelbrock which does not have an EGR .Is it possible to hook the canister up using this carb and no EGR???

6. imconfused

I forgot , the carb also has the vacuum source for the brake booster if this makes a diff.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Other than the few pounds that it weighs the canister does not rob power and you should have left it intact. Your causing yourself some headaches here. Bigest problem is the vapor system on the fuel tank is not not operating and you may start presurizing the tank and cause other weird problems.
    That said your next bigest problem is the vent of the carb float bowl. Now the big connection on the front top of the carb is the vent for the float bowl. If nothing else you need to put a loop of hose and hook it to the vent line in the air cleaner housing. You need to route the loop out of the carb and up a few inches and then back down to the air cleaner to make a P trap to keep the fuel in the carb if you get the truck nose down. This will keep fuel from dumping into the air cleaner and possibly causing a fire.
    Leave the PCV hooked up to the bottom connection on the front of the carb.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by Eagle86K5

9. imconfused

EAGLE .......I sure would appreciate a copy of the vac. lines schematics if you wouldn't mind. Am I to believe that I NEED to re-install the canister even if I do not have the original carb /intake?? I don't mind installing it but I have no idea where to run all the "spaghetti" that goes with it. Thanks again.....(imconfused@freewwweb.com)

10. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I despise emissions control. So I did the same exact thing you did. I forgot what I did with the line. There is no need to reinstall the ugly ol thing though. I will get back to ya on what to do with line.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

12. imconfused

I sure do appreciate the input but I'm a little confused. I was under the impression that the canister is a relatively new item to help emmisions. Why would it be neccessary to use if I do not have any of the other emmission components under the hhod anymore(By the way ...I'm not against emmission equipt. but when I bought the vehicle most were either missing or inoperative so I of course just removed the remains in an attempt to get the engine to run better) I too have been smelling fuel while driving which is the reason I originally asked the question. Problem is I can get another canister but still I do not know how to hook it up to a Edelbrock 1406 carb and an intake with no EGR. Thanks again....

13. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The simplest reason why to use the canister is that it helps you save fuel. The fuel stored in the canister is extracted when vacuum is applied and used by the carburetor. At the same time, you're helping with the environment by burning that fuel instead of letting it evaporate.

I'd suggest you visit http://www.edelbrock.com because they have a big manual online for your 1406. I guess the vacuum ports will be labeled there. Or at least their technical support will tell you which one to connect it to.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

15. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

There is no liquid fuel involved with canister itself. I took mine off trust me nothing of the liquid matter is in it. I took mine off and mine runs better than it ever did.

16. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

You're right. There's no liquid fuel involved. The canister is filled with small carbon particles that trap fuel vapors. The fuel is "stored" in these particles. When vacuum is applied, the pellets expell the fuel vapor, which is used by the engine.

I'm running mine disconnected because I haven't taken the time to ask Edelbrock how to connect it without any other of the emissions stuff. But sonn I will reconnect it for the sake of mileage.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

17. imconfused

OK , I'm relatively new to this forum so I still don't understand all the rules..... May I ask why EAGLE86K5's posts were deleted ?? I know they were there yesterday but now they are not.

18. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I went back and checked my blazer and when I took the canister off I blocked the lines off. The canister does serve a enviroment friendly purpose, though. So it is up to you whether or not you prefer it or not. I am new to this forum too so I dont know why he deleted either.

19. Overdrive

Overdrive Registered Member

I have the same carb...

imconfused,
    I have the same Edelbrock 1406 carb on my 77' K5. It however does not have a charcoal canister. The edelbrock carb does not have any provisions for emmissions equipment. Edelbrock does sell the 1400 model which has provisions for EGR, and both the bowl vent and the return line to and from the charcoal canister. Go to your nearest parts store that carries the carbs in stock and you can see what I am talking about.

I do however have what appears to be a "vent" line that runs right up to the fuel pump but it is not connected to anything. I am kinda certain my 77 did not come stock with a canister as it passes emmissions here in AZ without any problems and they check for EVERYTHING emmission related. Hope that helps..

Overdrive

20. imconfused

Re: I have the same carb...

OVERDRIVE..... Any suggestions on what to do with the 2 lines running from the gas tank that were attached to the canister?? I'm afraid to just plug them ... can I possibly plug the lines and use a VENTED gas cap?? Will that be enough to reduce any pressure in the system??