Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

charcoal canister...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

is there any reason I can't remove this thing? My city only does the sniffer test on emmissions day, and I know this canister isn't doing jack. I have no inner fenders anymore and I wanna narrow my front clip too... this canister POS is in the way, and the lines that lead to it might get ripped off my a big tire at full flex...

anyway, if removing it is no big deal, is there anything special I need to do with the various hoses that go to it or can I just plug 'em?

j

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The problem is in venting the tank. Plug that and your tank will build up pressure and/or vacuum.

*IMO* it's best to work with it, as it PROBABLY helps keep condensation in the tank down better than a simple vent, and should be more water resistant for you guys that do deep water fording.

On my car, I hooked the line right up to vacuum on the carb, but I don't know as I like that idea anymore. Perhaps with a check valve that would be ok.

3. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

Does the Charcoal Canister rob any horse power from a smog exempt engine?

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh its the vent for the tank, doesnt rob any power that I know of. If you do remove it, you probably need to put one of those little checkballs on the end of the vent line, so that if you roll your truck offroad (I mean come on you are narrowing it afterall), you wont have gas spilling out of the vent.

5. dyeager535

In actuality, it will help your economy, you are burning the fuel that would otherwise be vented into the atmosphere. :waytogo:

6. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

yeah mine was fubared and i pulled it out and pluged the lines till i could find a new one. Well one drive to work and i relised that wasnt the thing to do my gas tank sounded like it was going to explode i opened the gas cap and it sounded like i was draining the air compressor. anyways i would just try to work work around it and if you plan on geting emissoms agian because i mad that mistake and i have to put every thing back on

7. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Thats what I did with mine. I haven't had any problems.

8. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Move the canister. Put it up on the firewall or something. I know it looks like ****, but my truck runs better with the smog stuff on. I have a completely stock engine though.

I'm surprised that WA doesn't do more with all the earth muffins up there. They do visual and sniff down in AZ.

9. dyeager535

Nope, WA does it the way all inspections should be....doesn't matter how you pass, if you pass the sniffer, you are done. :)

(or at least it used to be that way, haven't gone through an inspection in 5+ years)

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Depends where you are in AZ. In Mojave County they dont' care what you do. Needless to say my truck has ZERO smog items on it!:D

11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i removed both of mine and ran new vent tubes to the top of the firewall near the brake booster. Probably should do the checkvalve thingy but havent considered rolling quite yet.