Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Charging problem...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Aug 14, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Anytime I turn on my A/C, or anything for that matter, my gauge for charging drops below 13, with A/C it goes down to about 9. Even hitting the brakes makes the gauge drop a little when the brake lights turn on. The gauge drops more as the engine gets hotter. What could be causing this??? I have a new alternator on the thing and it did this before I put it on and it still does it.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Do you have the correct amount of amps? Also check your wiring for the guage and the charging system. You could have a drain you are unaware of.

Try reving it up with the A\C on and the brakes and see what it does. Chances are its the wrong alternator (not enough amps), a drain, or insufficient wiring like the guage of the wire is to small or other faulty wiring.

Good luck

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't automatically assume the gauge is correct.

Obviously the brake light/draw is a problem, but measure voltage at the alternator or battery, (should be over 12V in all cases) to make sure the gauge is reading accurately. If it's not accurate, its no problem, you just have to be aware of what is "normal" and when that changes, you've got problems.