Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Charging question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshua632, May 23, 2005.

1. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

I'm sure this has been covered enough but when I did a search I couldn't find exactly what i needed, So here we go again. I have a mutt of a truck that consist of a 86 k5 frame, 77 K20 Drivetrain, and a 92 S10 my problem comes from the wiring (which is definately my weak spot). Anyway I am running the stock style Alt. off the 77 K20 I know that is good because I have had it tested. I have the post on the back wired straight to the the battery the fat red wire (which is to the left if you are looking at it from the front) wired to a hot with key and the thiner black wire (which is to the right if you are looking at it from the front) looped around to the post on the back. I know it is charging because the back is magnetic when it is running and I can disconnect the positive battery cable and i stays running. If any of this sounds wrong chime in and help me straighten this part out. The problem is that if I let this truck sit for any amount of time It kills the battery. I have tried searching for a draw with a test light and pulling fuses and found nothing. Any ideas? Is it just wired wrong? or maybe as simple as a bad battery? Thanks in advance and sorry this post is so darn long! :cool1:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Which trucks wiring are you using ?

3. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

I was trying the use the s10s wiring but gave up on that when I was have charging issues. So now I'm using 10 gauge wire from the Autozone for the constent hot and I've tied into the blower motor wiring for the hot with key.

4. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you have the alternator exiciter wired to the battery, which would kill the battery when it isn't running.

5. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Well I thought that might be the case but when I switch them The truck stays running after I shut it off. :( Like I said this is definately my weak spot!

6. pauly383

I don't have any near me , but can e-mail a diagram tonight if ya pm ya an address . Then ya can just wire it like it should be .

7. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

8. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

Have you verified that the battery will hold a charge if not connected?

I had an Optima short internally once, but I couldn't event jump start the truck with it in there.

When you said "the black wire is looped around to the post on the back" did you mean ground, or battery?

9. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

battery

10. pauly383

U got mail .

11. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

if you pull the lead on the batt. with the engine running it can fry the diods in the alt. which will cause the juice in the batt. to back feed through the alt.

12. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

if you pull the lead on the batt. with the engine running it can fry the diods in the alt. which will cause the juice in the batt. to back feed through the alt. when its shut off which will drain your batt.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the smallest wire on the alt runs to guage or light in dash, not to battery

the two red wires connect to battery direct, will work fine
    you can loop the red spade end wire on side of alt to the post on back of alt with the other red wire, turns it into one wire alt plus the light/guage wire