Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Charging System Part??????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyDrivnRdneck, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

What is this little canister thing and what does it do????
    [​IMG]
    I've had 3 of the first gen style trucks now and haven't seen one of those before. Is it stock???? Or did maybe someone add it in???
    [​IMG]

Any input is appreciated.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

thats some kind of capacitor and ive never seen one mounted in a vehicle, thats crazy and custom, and your regulator is a replacement one btw

3. ChevyDrivnRdneck

Yeah that regulator is from Auto Zone....I bought it a few years ago when I worked there. It now has a newer one in there.....put it in today.

That capacitor thingy, what would be the purpose for it??? To hold power or kepp the alternator from discharging the battery??? I was more curious to why someone would put it there.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The cap will help get rid of the ripple that the alt puts out. It can help get noise out of a CB or stereo.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah can call it an electronic filter, thats a good sized one though hehe

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Flux capacator, used for time travel is my guess. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya time travel! That is my guess too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Doesn't look "factory" to me either.....

If you can tell us where the wires connect into, that will probably allow us to hazard a guess as to why it was installed in the first place.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Flux capacator, used for time travel is my guess. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you had it up to 88mph to find out? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you had it up to 88mph to find out? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He would still need a source for the required "1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He would still need a source for the required "1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can get that from a high powered stereo system /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. ChevyDrivnRdneck

The left wire (looking from the top) from the regulator goes into one side of it. The other one goes back into the loom and goes ?????? It is a blue wire and a blue wire goes into the plug on the alternator. could it go there??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Probly a noise suppresor of some kind then??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif