Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chasing a gremlin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shorts, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

how do you know if the tc or the tcc has gone bad? 4l60e. anyway, i've been chasing a gremlin for a while and i'm pretty fed up already.

cruising the hwy, if i let up on the gas a little on a down hill(to keep a constant speed), feels like something is holding the truck back a little bit, then it kicks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif almost kinda like when you go 4wheelin and you leave and put the tcase into 2hi, the front axle is still halfway engaged and the axles catch a bit as your driving off.

anyway, i've gone through everything i can think of to get the mpg above 9mph on the hwy(342s and 33s) /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Seven damn pages!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI think not......
    Take a manifold vacume reading at idle and at cruise. You should have about 20-22 in/hg. at idle. I think you will find that your Cat. is cloged. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

well i dont have a vacuum reader thingy /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif the cat was listed as a culprit. i'm just tired of replacing junk and it not fixing the problem

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I think sunlight will kill them. Just be sure not to get them wet or feed them after midnight. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A vacuum gauge is one of those under $10 items that you just can't do without!

You could remove the cat temporarily and see what happens. If there is a marked improvement in performance and mileage it needs replacing...bolt in a piece of straight pipe in it's place for a few days.

Rene

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have never been a fan of replace it because........I need proof before I do anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i hear ya on that. everything i've replaced was due: tune up, oil change, diff fluids, tranny fluid/filter. and since none of that worked, i gotta dig a little deeper: cat, O2, ig module, ig coil...uhmm what else...

yes i do need a vac tester and a volt ohm meter - i thought we use to have one....but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif rest assured, those things are already on my birthday list - as well as my xmas list /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i definitely don't water my gremlins, but i do feed them after midnight. that's my bad habit though - i stay up eating cold pizza and reading posts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Kind of off topic, but was just reading in the service manual about checking for exhaust restriction at the AIR fittings.

Dunno why someone would think a problem that you can feel a change in, would be the converter.

Someone that knows 4l60e's better than me can comment, but I imagine one wire going into the transmission controls TCC, so de-pinning it from the connector (shouldn't be too tough) would disable TCC, and a short drive like that should tell you if TCC is the prob or not.

And since you are running non-stock tires, have you accounted for the speedometer difference in your MPG calculations somehow?

10. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

my truck doesn't have the A.I.R. system.

yeah, my tires are dead on. 33s actually only measure 31.5......and what is stock? 31.5" yeah, thankx BFG /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif anyway, truck acts the same with the 265s as well as the 33s. thats why i'm so stumped.

i changed to ignition module tonight and went for a spin. the truck responds better, but i'll have to wait and see if it was the full problem.