Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chassis Books

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 4, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What are some good books? Looking to place an order for a few chassis books. I've read one, that was quite lackluster.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

for 4x4 ? or just general chassis and suspension books? Amazon has lots.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

"Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams

Pretty easy read, and covers suspension (not really useful for 4x4) but talks about frame design and torsional strength...the use of shear panels, and lots of cool "balsa wood" models depicting torsional issues and how to resolve them.

It was good enough that it inspired me to build my own 1/8th scale model of a Blazer frame to try out some ideas....

[​IMG]

I know.......:D NERD! :D

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

They talk about one on POR alot.. Written by a couples guy with a name like McMillen.... :dunno:

6. Greg72

"Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" by Milliken and Milliken

That one's pretty intense. About 2" thick and about $80!!!

Not the first book I'd buy (though I have it also)...but if you want to read about "pure" suspension theory and look at a lot of cool graph and mathematical functions.....that's the book for you. :thumb:

:cool1: I leave that one on my coffee table to impress the ladies! :cool1:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I read the Herb Adams book front to back. I borrowed it though so I didn't get to read it again and retain the info like I need to.

8. Greg72

Well at least the Adams book has a cover price of only $17.95 (apply the Amazon discount to that) so it's an inexpensive way to get knowledge.

It also has some good formulas for calculating leaf spring rates, based on a few known criteria....also some info on shock placement, effective rates, etc.

9. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

If you're looking for a book to set on the coffee table to impress people, go ahead and buy one. There is far more info pertaining to our sport on the PBB and here than in any of those books. The Milliken and Milliken book does has the most in depth four link and chassis info, IMHO. It can also get a little "deep" at times too. I own all three books mentioned in this thread and have learned for more by sifting through the info on Pirate.

10. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

The best chassis book I got is Door Slammers: The Chassis Book by Dave Morgan. While its mostly for drag cars it has tons of info on things like instant centers and Center of gravity and roll cage building and suspension setup. This book is not a fast read...think cold winter nights, but it will teach suspension theory even to an idiot like me. Got it from amazon.co for $20.
    George

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Chassis Ref books I have:
    Chassis Engineering by Adams
    Race Car Engineering & Mechanics by Van Valkenburgh
    Competition Car Suspension by Staniforth
    Race and Rally Car Source Book by Staniforth
    How to Make Your Car Handle by Puhn

I got the Adams' book last. At first I wasn't too impressed with it, but it's now the first book I look for. I'm too cheap to buy the Milliken book (father & son authors). It is a college course textbook on the topic.
    Van Valkenburgh is a GM Engineer who was assigned to Donohue & Penske during the Trans-Am days.
    Staniforth is an English engineer and eccentric. Makes for interesting reading.
    No book I've found deals with off road suspension. You have to get the basics and extrapolate from there. I'd be careful of info on the net. Some of it is good, others are 'experts' shooting their mouth off. Most of what I've read on POoR falls into the latter catagory.

12. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Got to SAE.org and search in there for books. Tons of information in those books.