Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Che Guevara

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigjbear, Sep 28, 2006.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

gjk5's avatar reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. I laughed my ass off at that one, BTW.

Does anyone know how old Che is perceived in South America today? Specifically, in his home country of Argentina? My aunt & uncle went to Cuba about 6 years ago, when it looked like things might calm down between us, and he was still considered "one of the heroes of the Revolution". But if you talk to the Cuban ex-pats in FLA they don't see it that way. In fact it is just the opposite, they call him a terrorist.

I know there is not going to be a 100% consensus (hell, just look at the U.S.) but would "The Motorcycle Diaries" (pro) or "The Cult of Che" (against)be the more popular book in the cafes?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

To those that lean to the left, he is seen as a hero. To those that have clear minds, he is seen as a terroristic communist piece of garbage....................

Can't answer you question specifically though:D

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

As Bubba said, it really depends on your perspective. If it's a person who has already fled those countries then they a pretty sure to hate the guy as they have already decided that those societies suck. If it's someone who still lives there (especially Cuba) then who know what they really think since they aren't allowed to speak their minds. I doubt he is seen as an across the board cultural hero in Argentina though.

If they are from Hollywood or almost any major US University they probably think he's a god.

I personally hate the man and all he stood for, this is about my 5th MockChe avatar and I am always looking for more good ones.

4. bigjbear

People are weird, no doubt about it. I even know people with framed posters of Franco on the wall. I'm mostly wondering about down south, though.

5. bigjbear

I'm hoping not, but was wondering because of the big "flags with Che faces" when the meeting of spanish speaking countries took place in Argentina, along with a lot of leftist displays. This was not the case when the summit was in Spain last year (it is hosted by a different spanish speaking country every year). Castro did not attend last year, so that may have had something to do with it. I was actually in Salamanca for last year's summit (by chance) and there were no real protests, which surprised me because it is a university town. Most people were there to see the royal family-that still strikes me as odd, but at least they're not as bad as the British.

My personal feelings on Che- he was a lousy military leader, a lousy economist, and a murderous jailer. You want to see real prisoner abuse, look at what he did in Cuba. I'm still lovin' the "Che-a-pet":D

I'm mostly asking because my uncle likes to get in political discussions with the locals when traveling.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Isn't that akin to walking into the coffee shop in some southern, rural town when all the locals are there and stating that Baptists suck??????????:D

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still trying to find that one that has hillary in a beret a'la che.

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I love that Reagon Revolucion tee, thought about buying one.

I like these too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]