Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheao 383 Kits??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Dec 18, 2003.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of some fairly cheap kits to turn my 350 into a 383? I still would like decent quality stuff though. Thanks!

2. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I hear enginekits.com has some good kits hope that helps...

3. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I got mine from PAW for like $850 bucks and that came with rings and bearings. If I did it again I would probably use the 5.7inch 350 rods or 6" rods and custom pistons to acheive longer dwell time and less rod angularity for higher RPM's. I figure with the 5.56 400 rods and 350 pistons its good for 5700 RPM and should saffice for an offroad motor.

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Engine Kits

Im getting the 383 kit, its only $469

PLUS!!!! You must get it balanced (includes flex plate and harmonic balancer) which is another $200

So $669 plus shipping is a pretty good deal anyway.

5. moore82

moore82 Registered Member

If you drill the oil journals bigger, you can get 6500rpm.The engine that I'm putting in my truck is good for 10000rpms.It's a 383 I built myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You also have to get the bottom end clearances for the larger crank and rods. Not sure on the $$$$.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

10k RPMs out of a 383? What other work have you done? That has to be one hell of a balance job, knife edge, oiling work, big time quality parts. I'd hate to be nearby if you used junk parts and planned ot hit 10K /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. moore82

I'm not giving all my secret away. I just know my engines. I only use the best of parts. I have about $7000 in it. I dino test it. It's pushing 550hp and 625of torque. It should turn those 40's real good. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I not only cry bullshit, but I'd also like to inform you that there are no secrets to a small block Chevy. Trust me, it's all been done before. There is nothing you can do to a 383 that hasn't been tried yet.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Can't even spell DYNO, and 7 grand???? Why not a BBC then?

It was none of my business....It can be done also.
    There was a bit of mental pollution that night......

11. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

you two should be careful what you accuse. I can easily see 10,000 out of a 383. Not sur about for $7,000 but I know there are dosens of sbc turning well past 10,000. And if you don't beleive that go to any NHRA event and start asking around. Course that won't do any good because yes there are lots of secrets out there and still plenty that has not been tried. Otherwise every one at every racing event would be driving identical cars/trucks.

12. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Those engines at a NHRA event and the ones that turn 10,000 rpms are not doing it off pump gas.

13. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

it doesnt take a whole lot to make an engine hit 10 000 rpm, it just takes good parts an an engine builder who knows what hes doin, plus a few secrets here and there. but forthe most part it can be done relativly easy. we built a 327 small journal, used the stock bottom end and rods, and put a reverse rotation cam in it and a set of brodix aluminum 10 deg. heads, and fully rollerized it and that sucker hit almost 11 000 rpms and we ran it at 9-10 thousand rpm all race day long, and im talkin oval track, not drag race. Man did that motor pull. mind you it was in a street car, and we were running 118 octane race fuel but, thats not too crazy or expensive. but it can be done, and for relatively cheap. that motor cost us around 6 grand cdn to built and it lasted all year.

14. moore82

I'm sorry for my spelling. I'm not perfect. A big block weight to much and cost more for light parts.oh I forgot to add that I have my own boring machine and some other machines, so I saved money here and there.

15. moore82

I not only cry bullshit, but I'd also like to inform you that there are no secrets to a small block Chevy.

Oh and you are god of all small blocks??

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are four ways to go in my opinion:
    1. buy a cheap "eBay" crank for $150 and build your own.
    2. buy a complete kit from somewhere for more than its worth.
    3. buy a Scat stock replacement nodular iron 3.75" externally balanced crank (~$240) and build your own.
    4. buy a Scat forged internally balanced 3.75" crank.

I'm more inclined to go with #3 or #4. You know you're getting quality parts. You get to choose your own parts instead of "mystery" parts most kits come with. #4 is enticing because it doesn't require expensive externally balanced harmonic balancers and flywheels/flexplates. You know #4 is never going to be the weak link in your bottom end. Your valvetrain will grenade before the crank is taxed. But that's $560 which is a lot of money. That's "let's see if we can find a 454" kind of money.

17. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I not only cry bullshit, but I'd also like to inform you that there are no secrets to a small block Chevy.

Oh and you are god of all small blocks??

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta remember who's mouth that came from.... Mr Doom & Gloom /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif