Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap 1/2" Impacts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am in need of a new 1/2" Impact. I was wondering what is a good bang for the buck gun. It took me 2 years to break my really cheap Campbell Hausfeld gun. I was looking at impacts today at Home Depot and they have the Husky (CH) guns for $60 and $100. They are lifetime warranty. I was wondering if they are an ok gun or not. The $100 gun is supposed to be capable of 500ft-lbs, and I was thinking this would be a good choice because of the high torque capability and Lifetime Warranty.

Any recommendations? I don't have alot of money otherwise I would get a good gun but right now I can't afford it. I am open to ideas though.

Harley:laugh:

2. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

This may sound "low rent" but don't overlook your local pawn shop. Most of them of any decent size have a large selection of tools, since it's mostly the working man that uses pawn shops to hock or sell their stuff.

You have to know what you are looking at, but there can be bargains to be had. Also, check out Northern Tool's selection and their eBay store.

3. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

Here's one for ya....About two years ago I went to the local pawn shop just to look for tools. When I came back out to my truck I found I got all four hubcaps stolen off my one ton van. So I'm in the hole at pawn shops.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

lmao who steals hubcaps anymore? damn thats low...

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you can also try local steel yards.. there are some by us that have impact guns.. cheap....

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I've heard good things about Husky and since they are warrantied at Home Depot you can't go wrong. I would ask the customer service if you can exchange it at the store if it ever breaks? You may move somewhere else but there will always be Home Depot nearby:)

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I have a 1/2 impact I bought fron Harbor Freight in '89, yes '89.......... still works great. I have killed a CH gun in the middle of this as well.

8. Hossbaby50

Brand? Price?

Harley

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i got my ir 230c or 240c 1/2 impact for around 150 bucks brand new. go to a local garage and see if they have a small tool guy (not matco, snap-on or mac). we have a guy that comes around a few times a month. best deals on ir air tools ive ever seen.

10. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I Usally Check All The Local Pawn Shops Before I Buy New

11. Hossbaby50

The problem with most of my local pawn shops is that they want new prices for used crap. They don't usually have good deals otherwise I would be shopping at pawn shops alot.

Harley

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is only one 1/2" impact on the market in my opinion. IR 2135TI. I paid $189 for mine on ebay brand new. When I take out rusty bolts with it, it's priceless to me.

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Sam's has a Good Year set of 1/2 in 500 ft/lb impact & a 3/8 driver for like 65 or so. Looks like a decent setup. Thinking of buying itmelf, once I figure out to actually pay for it:D

14. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I've had a husky 500 ft/lb at home for a few years now. It's been very reliable and I like it just fine. 72THING has the same gun for about the same time and he's warrantied his once or twice...I can't remember. I also have a Snap On and Chicago Pneumantic gun. The only IRs I've ever been impressed by are the composite guns. Granted, through the company I work for I can buy a lot of tools at a discount....but the 800ft/lb CP 1/2" gun I got for $105 total where the Husky was $110. I'll take the CP any day.

15. FWP

FWP CRS

Harley, I've used the crap out of the one from Harbor Freight. It holds up well, for general duty. (it won't work on crush sleeves for example) There is a couple of different stock numbers though. It seems Rob got one of a different number than mine, and his is definetly is weaker.

16. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

wierd. my co workers has a cp 1/2" gun and its piece. we bought em around the same time and his is worthless. all it does is blow air when he pulls the trigger. the one i have will remove pretty much whatever i want. i like it. if mine wont do it my bosses 3/4 ir will.

17. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I vote for pawn shops and your local want ads first. Then go for the IR.

-Chris

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Snap on = IR

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Chicago Pneumatics = garbage there's a reason you can buy them at Harbor Freight :rolleyes:

buy a GOOD gun now, and you wont have to buy one a few years down the road. i've had to rebuy enough tools that i dont skimp on tools anymore. i'll second the IR 2135 TI, its an awesome piece!

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The whole discussion is kinda moot...yes there are good and bad guns out there, but there are so many factors not being discussed....such as how you take care of your tools, oil regularly? etc, what size air compressor are you running it on? etc etc A tool only works as well as you let it.

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2