Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap 17" wheel, what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, May 12, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Cheap 17\" wheel, what do you think?

I was searching around the net for 17" wheels and I realized I couldn't afford aluminum. Anyway I came across the Cragar Black Soft 8 397 Series Wheels they come in a 17x8 in 8x6.5 with 4.5 for $59. I was thinking that a steel 17 might be hard to balance and will be heavy but if I remember correctly new dodges come standard with steel 17s.
    What do you think? Missprint?
    Link...
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=209939&prmenbr=361

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Cheap 17\" wheel, what do you think?

Looks legit to me...but why 17's. What tire are you planning on running that you couldn't get for 16's (at probably a better price)?

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could get some wheels from an H2...

4. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

For a 17" rim you can get a 40"x13.5" Goodyear mtrs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif the 40" is not made for 16" or 15" rims /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

last night I saw two sets of takeoff H2 rims, 4 wheels and caps, on eBay for $180 buy-it-now. thats pretty damn affordable if you ask me.

EDIT:They make a bunch of MTR sizes that accept a 17" wheel, but the 40" only takes the 17".

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

17's are often easier to balance than 15's. Steel wheels are easier to balance overall. I also believe the lower sidewall flex at speed is a big positive of using 17"

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I'm going to run a 37x12.5 BFG AT. I recently moved to a place with not much off roading but big snowfalls in the winter. I know that the AT is an awesome winter tire and I want something in the 35-36" range and from what I've read thats what it measures to. Also my reason for a 17" wheel is that with the bigger rotors I had to grind the hell out of the backing plates and calipers to back it out of the shop, so much that I am uncomfortable running it this way. I want to run the tires in as much as I can to avoid any unnecessary harrasment. Also I think the look of a 17 will be better and also the reasons AZ-K5 listed.
    H2 wheels are another alternative I'm looking at but don't really want to have to pay shipping from the states since around here I haven't seen a H2 since I've moved here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

17" 8 lug wheels are getting cheaper all of the time. Steel actually has some choices now, and a classic aluminum 17" wheels can be had for less than $100.