Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap 203/205 adapters?!

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by oneofthefewbmx, Feb 3, 2007.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

hey guys im just curious if i had my friend (who owns a cnc machine shop) to make some 203/205 adapters. Is 450-500 bucks for the aluminum adapter alone sound like a decent/fair price? any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated... thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Full doubler kits are not much more than that really. Full NWF kit is something like $699...

That is the adaptor, shaft, all gaskets and seals and fasteners.

Rene

3. oneofthefewbmx

i see....so what would be a fair asking price for just the adapter. i understand u would still have to buy the shaft and gaskets and save some money for it to be worth it so like 300 mabey?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Are all brand doubler shafts typlically the same length? If not, whose shaft would your adapter be made to work with?

How much does just a shaft cost? The included hardware, gaskets and bearings are probably worth about $100. I'd say the adapter would be worth a little less than the cost of a kit minus the shaft, hardware, gaskets & bearings. I say less because there has to be some incentive to make the buyer go to the trouble of piecing a kit together.

5. oneofthefewbmx

i dont know if they are all the same length, but it would prolly end up bein the same size as say ORD. and yes, the incentive to peice it together was what i was wondering about...haha...that is why i brought this to you guys...i was hoping you guys could help me come up with a price because of that...thanks...

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think it will be a hard sell, your better off if you can put together a complete kit. Another option would be to make adapters that use easy to find off the shelf parts rather than another vendors parts. What happens when the other vendor changes their design or goes out of business?

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

You'd probably do just as good or better making replacement OE adapters. The 400/205 and 465/203 adapters are pretty hard to find so they'd probably sell good if they were reasonably priced.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Exactly what I was going to suggest.
    Still they are offered by AA for about $150 so you'd have to be at or below that to sell.
    I agree about the partial kit relying on vendors is not a good idea.
    You could however cut and respline original 203 shafts for around $200 so you can still make your own complete kit under the price of the other vendors by having the option available to the people or by charging a core charge refundable when they supply the original shaft.

9. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

Im pretty sure all the doubler shafts are the same reguardless whos kit you have,made by the same people.
    I swapped out a ORD 31spline for a NWF 32spline and they were the same other than the spline count.

I think that we need someone to make custom clocking rings for the 208/241 that put the pilot back on there to help with alignment and leak problems.
    I thought about using 3/8" flanged studs(like a wheel stud)instead of short studs that only have a couple threads.This way you could use billet alum. and make it say 1/4" thick depending on whats available for studs.

Dodge case to GM adapter work be popular!

10. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

An adapter for a 465/203 would interest me possible. A 32slpine one :D .

11. oneofthefewbmx

well thanks for the help guys...so the general consensus is to make a complete kit for less than the competetors, or/and make hard to find stock adapters, correct?

12. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

well the 400-205 adapter can be had all day long for $250... thats GM cast iron... ORW makes a cast aluminum one, I forget what it costs but its around that same price... so unless it was some super trick billet peice, with a real real reasonable price tag, i dont see it selling that well... however the rare birds like 465/203, 4l80e/205, (and others) would be nice... they dont make this stuff anymore so even if you dont make a lot of money off it, just that youre putting these parts back into people hands is a great thing IMO.

mike

13. oneofthefewbmx

i understand....ill see what i can do...thanks guys