Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap A$$ Guage install

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HIX, Mar 6, 2003.

1. HIX

HIX Registered Member

Don't hate me cause I'm Cheap!

I added swapped out the oil, amp, temp guages and added the tach to one of the open ones. It wasn't pretty but it will get the job done. 50 bux for the guages is alot cheaper than the 200 plus for the remakes. [​IMG]

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the tach?
    I have never seen one that small.

4. gallup

gallup Registered Member

Looks great, what brand of gauges did you install?
    Did you try to find a tach that would fit the larger center location on the bezel? That would be easier for my old eye's to read at a glance! I thought about doing this, just not on top of the list of things to do next.
    Mike

5. vaulter

vaulter Registered Member

Yeah, where did you get that tach?

vaulter

6. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

looks like they are the sunpro gauges, they are usually pretty cheap, can find them at pepboys even. I am going to do the same but am going to get an autometer in dash tach for the stock tach area, I bet you could find one for cheaper than autometer though and make it work. I know Steve chin used one out of a late 70's firebird or camaro I think.

7. HIX

HIX Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    looks like they are the sunpro gauges, they are usually pretty cheap, can find them at pepboys even. I am going to do the same but am going to get an autometer in dash tach for the stock tach area, I bet you could find one for cheaper than autometer though and make it work. I know Steve chin used one out of a late 70's firebird or camaro I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reson I got the small tach is due to the fact that you would have to cut the circut board in order to make them fit in the tach area as most tachs are deeper than the back of the dash unit. The small one fit in well. When I decied to buy new gauges I went the cheap rout b/c I think I have alot more repairs to do on this truck.

8. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The install looks great!

Just to tell you. Me and a friend bought Sunpro gauges and me and him both got bad tempture gauges.

9. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Yeah I had a brain fart. I was assuming you were changing the speedo too and wouldn't need the circuit board. I am trying not to invest too much in gauges however I want something that can take a little bouncing around. My rig is too beat up for me to justify buying a really nice set. Looks good though. Let us know how it works out.

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I used a modified '77 Camaro tachometer. I also modified the circuit board to reduce wiring headaches.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1963/BlazerPix.html

I prefer the near-stock look that it has. It fits in pretty well with the stock gauges (although I'd have liked it if the numbers and letters on the tach had that slight green tint that all of the Blazer gauges have).

There is something wierd about the close-up picture in that the tach needle appears much more red than it is. I painted all of the needles with the same paint at the same time, and they're all the original orange-red color in a 60% semi-gloss.

Oh, hey, see where my fuel gauge was reading? That's from the open circuit between the gauge and the sender. Reads *way* over-full.