Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CHEAP carpet heat shield and sound deadener padding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Feb 1, 2007.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I am after a good cheap heat shield and sound deadener padding for my k5. Where did you guys buy yours? I found 4' by 6' rolls on ebay for 30+ shipping.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Lowes carries the same stuff in the roofing section. I think the brand name is Peel & Stick. There is a lot of info in the Audio section.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

X2. I used that stuff all over my truck. Some 3M spray adhesive on the back and your good to go.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've used the stuff that is just under a half inch thick before. It's sort of a felt like padding with aluminized plastic on one side as a heat shield. Bought it at Pep Boys for $24.99 a few years ago. Don't use it if you'll be getting water inside though. It will soak up liquid like a sponge. It's the same stuff as shown here. If you need a lot, it's cheaper to buy the larger roll instead of several smaller ones.

I think grimjaw and chalet2506 are talking about the rubber membrane roofing material that works sort of like Dynamat for deading noise. Good stuff for noise reduction, but it doesn't do much to keep the heat out (or in). Several folks have used it with good results.

5. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Believe it or not I have heard of bed liner sprayed 1/4 inch thick though out the tub works. I haven't tested it, but it would be kinda pricey. Don't know how well it will repel heat but it might deaden the sound. Also why not rob a bunch of heat shields from junkyards? They seem ply-able enough.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=24

someone on here pointed me to that company a while ago. They have the liquid stuff, and varying thicknesses of the normal kind.

I used the EDead V1(all the way at the bottom) and did my entire Saturn with it. Just door panels and lined the trunk. $40 for 40 square feet, couldn't beat that with anything.

I need ot get more and do the inside of my pickup, but I want to replace the vinyl floor and do the floors at the sametime.

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I bought eDead off Ebay before I found the roofing stuff. They appear to be the same thing.

8. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

9. adamforsythe

Links and pics are good.
    Thanks
    Adam

10. adamforsythe