Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap Cheap Cheap

Discussion in 'Audio' started by DBLAZER, Jul 5, 2000.

1. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Am I the only one who comes here who isnt extremely cheap. I mean, it seems like every time i check this forum out I see people talking about walmart and sears and so on. How many of you bought your lift from walmart. Or purchased that bad ass new motor from sears, or pep boys. For the most part everyone here will drop the buck for the quality parts but get so cheap when it comes to buying the sound system for for your rigs. Now this obviously isnt for all of you but come on,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Walmart car audio, JUNK. Jenson, Boss, SEARS, JUNK JUNK JUNK. If you dont want it to sound like crap, dont buy crap. Just my opinion.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

2. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Personally, I pay at least a dollar per watt for my amps and don't scrimp on other audio equipment either. I've got almost $7000 in my sound system. I would never buy anything for my stereo from Walmart and the like. But you have to realize that not everyone is into car audio. Some people just want something that will play music and don't care whether or not it sounds great. For these people, a cheap speaker from walmart is good enough. It's all about what you like. Personally, if my stereo won't break my windshield, I'm not happy with it.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

3. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am not that cheap...I have a quality system...pioneer trebs

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Well, believe it or not, my Jensen amp ended up sounding amazingly well for what I thought it would be and for what I paid for it.

But I think one of the main reasons why many people don't like to spend a lot in audio is because they get STOLEN so easily. That's the reason I don't have an in dash stereo, but a hidden "cheap" amp under the seat. I'd love to have the best speakers, but I'm afraid of having $500 in speakers stolen. So I think that's why we're cheap.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Good point!

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

When was the last time you went to walmart or sears? I was in there the other day and they sell alot of the same stuff you can pick up in a crutchfield. They started carrying Sony (and I think Pioneer also). Which we all know both of these aint crap. They aint the most expensive you can buy, but majority of us have trail rigs not show trucks. Personally I think I have a kick a$$ system but this is from pieces I've bought over the years. If you get a real hardcore K5'r I'm sure they would much rather have their blazer in great running condition rather then sounding good broke down in the garage. [​IMG]

89 K5 Silverado

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

8. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Wal-Mart carries the lower lines of Sony and Pioneer, which by no means is junk. My subs, front/rear components, HU, and EQ are all Pioneer, they make great products, with their specialty being in HU's, IMO. I don't consider Pioneer to be cheap, just a cheap price for a great product. I have had no problems with my stuff, my HU has plenty of options, the EQ gives a lot of control over the subs, and the speakers sound great, especially the highs on the titanium tweeters(I love their bright sound). My current setup can be checked out at http://www.sounddomain.com/18534 if I find a K5, once I transfer I will finally make some kickpanels/boxes for the components, will build a better box for my subs, will complete my plexi amp rack(all this in due time, I want the K5 to look good more than work on the audio, it's finished pretty much). Jensen is a good starter product, their speakers sound decent, their amps are a bit overrated but still do the job, etc. If you get into audio more from that point you will move on to bigger and better things.

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm the guy who posted about the $2 6x9's for the rear of my Blazer. I knew exactly what it would sound like and I'm satisfied. Between the Flowmasters and Swampers, my Blazer isn't a good platform for a pricey stereo, so I didn't waste my money. BUT, I am an MECP certified installer, so sound quality is important to me. Thats why I have 2 grand worth of Alpine and Rockford stuff in my daily driver.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

i guess

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Gotta love Wal-mart and Sears!

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

12. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

My local sears sells sony and kenwood...these are nothing I would compete with but they are nice. As for wal mart...Maby if I were younger and didnt have tons of money. When I was 16 I had a COMPLETE sparkomatic system!! I sent 150$ for the cassette deck, EQ, and 4 speakers. Keep in mind I went to school and worked a mcdonalds...so maby not everyone can afford the real expensive stuff.

13. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

ok ok ok yeaah WALMART!!!!!! I LOVE SEARS!!!!!!
    That wasnt what i meant and i guess it doesnt matter, it is all a matter of opinion.

14. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

How long does it take for an Atlas II transfer case to go out anyway??

15. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Dblazer, I understand what your saying. I'm cheap...real cheap. But my priorities for my truck are different than yours. If I had a lot more money, then yeah, I'd probably have a really nice system...unfortunately I get to pick between fixing my balljoints & brakes or a new speaker or amp...hmmmm maybe someday I'll get everything fixed so I can afford something cool for my rig....not saying your wrong dblazer...just my opinion.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

16. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Some people don't care if theire stereo is a 50 dollar one. I would rather invest tons of dollars in the suspension and engine then buy a multi thousand dollar stereo.

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

17. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

reply to mouse, what do you mean???

18. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

He's talking about the signature under your posts. You say "New AtlassII ordered 5-15-00." That was a long time ago... Do you have it yet?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

19. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yes i have it , we are putting it in at the end of this week. when i said new i was refering to the new stronger front out putshaft that they have as an option and that the case is new to me

20. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If I didn't have a friend at a local stereo shop I would have probably bought most of my system from Sears. But since I got my whole system for $10 above cost, everything is from Alpine, Soundstream, and JL. I don't use it for competitions but I probably could with a little tweaking. It's quite good at covering up the road noise from my tires.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy