Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap create motors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Here

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wish I had found that before I built mine...I have it bookmarked from some time back, but still after I started rebuilding my old 350.

There is (or was) a 4 bolt main 350, one piece rear seal, roller cam engine in there for less than I put mine together for. Would be interesting to see if they will sell a long block with the Vortec heads on it, and allow you to specify or provide the cam?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well the prices I like. And they use plates when bored/honed.If they are quality with a warranty I could see getting one versus the time to do a rebuild. Just change cam, add spark and fuel, good pipes and go /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheap create motors

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats a "create" motor? I thought it was "crate" motor instead. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

They don't seem that cheap for a "vortec" 350??? They want $2,000 for a vortec 350 thats been rebuilt, and you can get a 330HP Vortec 350 (GM), from Jegs for $2,200, with all of the covers, intake manifold, etc. Plus it's brand new!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I guess if you have to pay the core, they aren't that "cheap", since this one 4 bolt Vortec would be $2000 if you have to pay the core. But Vortec heads, 4 bolt main, one piece rear, and roller cam included is pretty nice. Is the GM one you cited a roller cam? (thats $500 additional if you go aftermarket FWIW)

I'm not sure what is up with this "company". I almost think they use distributors all over the country, as there is one right here in my town, but I think they are all over the country.

I told a buddy about this as he needed a Chev straight 6 for one of his vehicles, and so far its been a perfect engine. Pretty hard to get that kind of warranty on an engine, and if they are close to where you live, if it DOES break, chances are you will be close to them when it does. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    They don't seem that cheap for a "vortec" 350??? They want $2,000 for a vortec 350 thats been rebuilt, and you can get a 330HP Vortec 350 (GM), from Jegs for $2,200, with all of the covers, intake manifold, etc. Plus it's brand new!

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't check the price on a Vortec. But on the engines for the car I'm going to build, it's a mega deal. $980.00 for a 327 long block !!!! Yeah, there will be a core deposit and shipping, but it's hard to find a 327 around here, plus 70,000 mile/ 7 year warentee !!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What are long blocks and short blocks? What's so different about them compared to normal blocks? Or am I missing something again /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Long block comes with heads, short block doesn't...

[ QUOTE ]
    What are long blocks and short blocks? What's so different about them compared to normal blocks? Or am I missing something again /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

10. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

The Vortec 350 that Jegs has, doesn't have a roller camshaft /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But as far as warrenty is concerned, it has a 3yr-36,000 mi. warrenty, as long as it is installed in a GM vehicle. There are 2 GM dealers here, plus numerous every where you go. That is a good buy on a 327 shortblock. I also see that Jegs has a non vortec 350 (260hp, 350ft lb of torque) for $1299.99 (P/N 809-10067353). Not a bad price, on a complete engine, either.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Long block comes with heads, where the short block doesn't.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oh so you have to buy heads for the short. I see /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif