Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap Double Beadlocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jan 7, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

During a thread over on Pirate people were trying to figure out how to get a PVC double beadlock insert into a tire. It was shown that a couple guys cut their inserts and bolted them back together like so:

[​IMG]

My rims are currently getting single locks put on them. Here's my idea:

-Cut the insert like shown
    -Insert into tire
    -Mount tire on rim, manhandle insert over rim, seat rear bead
    -Bolt insert back together
    -Install traditional beadlock ring

Voila, you have a cheap double lock. Granted, installation will be a hassle and the PVC piece will need to be wider than a normal one by an inch or so but compared to the cost, waiting time, and leakdown problems of normal double locks I think this idea rocks, what do you guys think?

2. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i would probebly just weld some 1/8" rod on the rim right next to the inner bead but thats just me

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

That works too well. We welded 3/16th rod around a rim both inner and outer. When we hit it with either to set the bead it set but poped out the valve stem. We could not get the tire off. We ended up cutting a whole in the rim to insert the valve stem from the inside and then welded a patch over it.
    We tried a tire machine, hilift jack, driving diesel tow rigs up on it and even lifting a humvee up with the shop lift on the tire sidewall and rig on the other sidewall. No go. That tire is on that rim for life.

That PVC sounds like it would work if you can keep it low enough on the bead so it doesn't pop up over the inner bead seat.

4. mikey_d05

Difficulty with seating and unseating is why I don't weld the rod around there. Besides, if I can get the bead seated and unseated alright with the rod on there, odds are it's not gonna be too hard to blow the bead off on the trail whereas with the PVC it'd be a true lock as long as nothing catastrophic happened. People run PVC inserts on hummer and custom two piecers all the time so they're definitely proven.

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Right but the hummer rims have a larger inner bead wall for the insert to push the bead agains. I think on a normal rim you may be able to spit the PVC up over the inner bead.

6. mikey_d05

This I didn't know, I'll have to get some measurements.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how owuld it lock the rear bead? I mean, the force of both halves pulling in is what really locks the beads agains the inner ring. With a single lock you wouldn't have that...

8. mikey_d05

Alright, I suck at explaining things so I'll give it another shot...

Sled, I know you already know this but I'm clarifying for my own sake. On a traditional double lock, the beads are pinched between the rim and the insert like so:

[​IMG]

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the inserts don't put a ton of pressure on the beads because they're simply not that wide. If you know anyone with a set of double locks or know the torque spec on the bolts, let me know and feel free to prove me wrong.

It's this that makes me think that if I were to cut the insert and slide it over the rim, I could seat it in between the rear bead and front (original) lip of the rim, albeit with some difficulty. Even if this didn't provide much clamping force, something is better than nothing and even if it didn't prevent the tire from being torn off the bead, it'd still prevent it from being pushed off of it's seat.

I'd have to:
    -get the rear bead over the front lip
    -slide the insert mostly over the rim
    -clamp down the primary lock ring and seat the rear bead with air pressure
    -undo the lock ring and push the insert the rest of the way and bolt it back together...this would be the trickiest part because the width of the insert would be crucial, too narrow and it doesn't do jack, too wide and I can't seat it
    -install and torque down primary lock ring and inflate tire

I'm debating between doing this and running tubes, I hate carrying a spare because of space and I don't take any huge camping trips so I'm normally not more than 5-10 minutes from camp. A second lock ring is out of the question for me since I run 15's on a 60, I just figured as long as I have my tires dismounted and single locks are going on, I might as well try and find a reasonably cheap way to make 'em into doubles.

Sled - I don't know if you didn't understand or don't think it'll work. I'd appreciate more input from you on this.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

It seems to me like putting an inward pressure out on the bead would only make them fall of faster on a standard 16.5" wheel. are hummer designed differantly to hold the bead? its so easy for them to pop off i cant see them satying on better:confused:

10. mikey_d05

For the record, my rims are 15's. As for your other questions...HUH?

This would have to be used in conjunction with a single, traditional beadlock by the way.

11. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Torque spec on hummer rims is 80lb ft, quite a bit more than traditional beadlocks.
    I just did a quick search for hummer rim pics to show the inner bead area but didn't come up with any good pics of the inner lip.

12. mikey_d05

Hmmm...I wonder if that's for the sake of holding the wheel together or if it's to effectively clamp the bead.

I need someone with a hummer rim or a double lock....

13. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I have hummer rims but they are mounted up. I can't get pics of the inner bead for you. They have been mounted for a year so I don't remember exactly the details of the inner bead area.

14. mikey_d05

Any chance you could take a caliper and measure the height of the lip for me?

Also, I have a dumb question...when putting together the rims, do you remember how it felt? IE when you were tightening them did it feel like you were pinching down on the bead for quite a ways and then it was metal on metal or was there very little compression between starting the bolts and being fully torqued?

I'm trying to gauge how much clamping force is actually needed on the bead. I could wrestle an insert in there but if I need a ton of force it's probably gonna be more hassle than it's worth.

15. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

You talking on the outside? Not sure how that will help but I can do it when I am at the shop next. Probably tomorrow evening.

Someone on here must have a rim that isn't mounted up. I am looking for a set for my wifes new rig and will have to remember to get good pics of mounting them, they seem to be in short supply.

16. mikey_d05

Yeah, they're getting pretty popular. I was asking for the height of the lip because if you've got a set that are mounted it's the best I can get from you. :p:

A dismounted rim would be better but beggers can't be choosers.

17. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

When I mounted mine their was quite a bit of force. The 39.5s are known for larger bead area than other swampers. One of my buddies actually had to trim down his insert because at 110ft lb he still had a 3/8" gap in the rim. The rims never become metal on metal as their is a rubber O-ring in their for a seal.

18. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Have you allready bought the beadlock kit? How about Staun? Vtblazer on here just picked up a set from one of my buddies shops. They are pretty slick. Kinda pricey but if you subtract the price of the single beadlock they are not that bad for a second lock on your current rims.

19. mikey_d05

Yep, single locks are already in progress. FWIW, I need some sort of rim protection as well. I tried to stay outta trouble at Gilbert last time and still ended up rashing 'em quite a bit. The single locks will provide that. That's why I looked at singles first and made doubles an afterthought

If this doesn't work out, it's definitely not the end of the world. I'm just trying to see if there's a feasible way to protect the outside of the rim and get a double lock out of the whole deal.

I don't have the tools to bend rebar or cold roll consistantly and rock rings run about $40 a piece. PVC inserts run about $50. So it's not really a big deal for price difference. Either way I'll end up with at least one side clamped and some rim protection.

20. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

www.stazworks.com has PVC for less than that. I know it has been a year or two but I think they were about 36$ each or so. John is good to work with also, no issues like US6x6 has had.