Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap, Flexy, Lift for 35's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbluesuburban, May 13, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I did a rudimentary search and did not really come up with good results, so I am now asking for the help of my fellow CK5ers.

I just bought an '86 1/2ton Sub. It is going to be the wheeler, and nothing but the wheeler. Since I have a set of brand new 35X15.5-15 Boggers... those are going to be the tires I want to fit.

I want to build a FLEXY and CHEAP suspension for this truck.

I would like information on longer springs, goofy springs, body trimming, low budget tech, etc etc for making this happen. If you find an old thread with good information just drop the link in here and I will read it. If you have personal experience with what works or what doesn't work, tell me about it.

I am an open book when it comes to this suspension, but most of all, I want to do it CHEAP!

FYI - I am planning to go Dually Axles, Hummer Wheels and Caddy Motor in the next year. So if that affects your advice I just wanted to mention it.

Thanks in advance for the Search help and personal advice.

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

52s. There is an artical in the tech section. Cheap, easy to find, flexy, about 4-5" lift, easy to do on OBS. Do a search for 52s, lots of stuff on it.

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The lift itself is cheap, but all of the "collateral damage" is not. Doing 52's requires crossover steering, relocated shock mounts, a new, higher-angle CV & driveline, and is a bit more labor intensive.

That said, it's awesome :D

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hey Lee,
    good to hear you got that burb. I would look at doing a 4" flip in the rear with 64's and moving the 52's up front. with those basicly being damn near free you can put the money into doing the steering and drivelines.

where'd you get those boggers? Thats what I want for the Toyota

5. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

ii dont think every body has had to get a bling driveline. any why relocated shock mounts?

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

before ya'll get set on 52's up front most burbs have 56" rear springs, beside your working with a 5500 lb truck with a 133" wheelbase just put a normal 4" spring lift under it and it will flex

7. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

i think most 1/2 ton burbs have 52's.

8. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

The frame is gonna need Spinach :haha:

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't know how the majority of them were built but from the 3 I have played with all were 1/2 tons and all had 56" rears

10. bigbluesuburban

ttt

I want more please.

Thanks

11. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

i wonder if there was any rhyme or reason about what springs came in what. my dads 87' has 52's.

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say the lowest price/flexist suspension is a set of shackle flips on the rear, and a set of TUFF COUNTRY (not tough country) springs on the front. All those people that spell the company name Tuff Country with Tough Country are people that are recomending a product they have never bought, or have even done much research on.

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hey Lee, For flex also run nothing bigger then a 4" spring. the flatter and longer you can get the springs the better.

I'm doing coils on the toyota :)

14. bigbluesuburban

I was thinking of going 2.5 springs in the front, blocks in the back (for now) and then trim trim trim trim the fenders until everything fits. Unless of course you wanna sell me those 4" springs off the '68 and then BAM!!! I can go that way and be up and running in NO TIME.

I do need a 700R4 for the truck though. I have not really checked out the tranny problem, but the seller told me that it works when cold, but not when warmed up. I am going to check fluid and such before I go swappin out trannies.

Didn't you just buy those 35MT tires? Why go to Boggers? I am only doing them because I can get them.

I will see about calling you today (Sunday) and see if you are at the house.

CYA

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm at my buddies right now but will be heading home once we get his 205 bolted back in.
    I would be willing to sell those 4's I have to ya.

I just want two boggers for the rear.

Also instead of welding on another cab to the toyota I'm gonna make a 4runnerish rig and cut the back of mine off and put a soft top on it, and move the stock bench to there and put my buckets up front.

b and r has 2 4 runners in there that still have the rear roll bar that I would tie into a in cab one. what would they charge for one?

16. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

True - but there will at the very least need to be seome driveline modifications. A stock driveline doesn't have the slip needed to handle kind of droop you get with 52's.

And the shock mounts... if you dont' put taller shock mounts (I.E. Ford Towers) this happens:
    [​IMG]
    when you put the longer shocks necessary to handle the droop of 52's. This is at ride height.

17. bigbluesuburban

I will B&R in the AM and find out about the roll cage for you. I may be able to get you two of them so you could mount one forward and one backwards then tie them together.

how much for the 4" springs?

I like the idea for the Yota, that is the best way to go and put all your Chev running gear in it. That will rock.

Call me tomorrow if you have time. I will be in the office all day long.

CYA

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

$125 (or equal value trade)for the 4's.

when ya call b&r could ya check on the front fenders off of the primer black 79 2wd by the red crewcab chevy (2nd row to the left just outside of the office,LOL)
    oh and the 2 seatbelts out of it as well.

19. bigbluesuburban

I will check on it all for you. I think that it will come out to $200. Just write me a check for $75 and drop off the springs... LOL

Seriously, I will check on it for you, and give you a call tomorrow morning.

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i found my charger so I'm charging up my personal cell.
    even my work one died,LOL

we got the th400- and the 205 bolted into the crewcab and he should have the camo done, down to the bed on pass side...looks awesome.

and the rear for now a block will work but I'd do the 64's on a flip.

Last edited: May 15, 2006