Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap headers...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 13, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, sometime in the fall/winter I will be swapping in a pontiac 455 that I bought off of kennyw. To increase the stock power, I was going to buy some headers for it. I don't want to pour a bunch of money into them as I will only have this engine for a couple of years. So my question is, do you know of any headers for a pontiac 455? I found these off of JEGS (scroll to the bottom, look at pontiac GTO-455ci) and they are around 170 bucks. I've seen some cheaper, but don't know where. Or, is there any other engine that has the same mounting as an 455 would? Thansk for your help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A GTO has a different shaped frame than a blazer....you will probably run into problems with headers that will fit.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

eek. So your telling me I can't use headers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do some good measuring. Keep into account things moving from flexing, a/c brackets, etc... and them shop for headers based on that. You may need to get out something and trim the collectors to fit the engine if you find some to fit in length/width. My bet is you can get cheap headers but you may need to do some homework first. I also suggest if you do end up with some cheaper headers, get some nice gaskets so they will seal correctly.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

call up jeggs, the tech support there rocks!! they actually knew stuff about my mini, annyway they should be able to give you some good info as to what will work for your app. Also it will hlep you help them if you do like steph said and take some good meaursurements before you call them /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Steph, my original plan was to get everything on the engine first, (i.e., the headers) and then install it. So if I did do that I wouldn't be able to measure or anything. I guess I am stuck, or install the engine and then get headers after measurements /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's much easier to install the headers when the engine in the truck. Now that I think of it, it would be a HUGE pain in the ass to install an engine with headers and not ding them all up... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh, seriously? I will install the engine first then /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can try to install with headers, but yeah, I think it would be a butt. You really don't know what you have room wise right now. If you order something up, then damage it finding out it's too big or small, then what? You are stuck.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I will just wait until I install it. Then I will take measurements, and try to match it up with simular headers. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    oh, seriously? I will install the engine first then /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]With some frames the headers at the head flange are wider than the frame rails and the tubes bend inwards making the width narrower to clear the frame...basicallyin some apps it is impossible to install the engine with the headers attached.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oh, i just thought that you could install them attached to the engine, before the engine is installed because I saw someones picture of there engine on an engine stand with the headers on. I guess they just put them on for the picture.
    Thanks for all your help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there was a 69 cutlass that had a 455 with headers. from what it looked like, the headers would fit on a truck, you may have to get different linkage brackets. but im sure you can make something fit.

i wouldn't spend to much on a set, you mey get them and not be able to get them to work and not send them back. check swap meets and ebay look for some cheap used ones. then when they rust through or what ever you know what you need to buy. just an idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    A GTO has a different shaped frame than a blazer....you will probably run into problems with headers that will fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chevelle headers will fit a truck no problem, i dont see why GTO headers would be any different.

15. jhama78

jhama78 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chevelle headers will fit a truck no problem, i dont see why GTO headers would be any different.

[/ QUOTE ]

We just put a 68 poncho 400 in a bud of mines 76 k5 and ended up using gto headers (im pretty sure) and they fit like a charm. Ill try and get pix this weekend for ya.

l8r

-j-rOd

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know if anyone makes shortie or block hugger headers for that engine. You might be able to fab up a set, there are also kits to build yourown.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When you say kits to build my own, what comes in the kit? Pre bent tubes ready to be welded toggether?

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats so bad about the stock manifolds??. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifI know headers give more power,but they rust out fast,are noisy,and they could be a big pain to make fit,if they wont work your stuck with them--the swap meet idea is a good one if you feel you must have them,you wont lose as much that way if it doesnt work--its cool that someone here has already "been there and tried that",thats the beauty of this site!.I think the stock pontiac manifolds would fit better(as long as they dont dump in the wrong spot)they hug the block real close,and with a 455,I think even bone stock it will have enough power and tourque to scare ya!
    I saw a 1966 GMC 4x4 at a car show awhile back with a 400 pontiac motor in it--it looked like a factory installation it fit real nice(and it didnt have headers!)--they used pontiac motors in the 55-57 GMC's factory,they also used buick 322 "nailhead" motors in some GMC's back then too!.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    When you say kits to build my own, what comes in the kit? Pre bent tubes ready to be welded toggether?

[/ QUOTE ]In all honesty, I'm not sure. Never really looked into them, but mentioned it becouse I've seen the "Kits" in parts catologs like Jeg's, PAW, and Summit in the past. I do remember that you put them together and weld them.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I'll look at jegs and summit later. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif