Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap Hi Steer Kit.... such a thing??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, May 4, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just wonder who else offers it other then ORD. Looking for a complete kit. thanks

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

3. 84CUCV

Thanks i know about sky as well, just wondering who else has them.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Cheap steering parts? You might as well just weld something together and save your money for the wrongful death lawsuits /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. 84CUCV

I am not that poor. I wass told there was a kit for 300 or so, just cant find it.

mike

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Crossover, yes. Crossover and high steer, no. That is going to cost you at least double that.

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheap steering parts? You might as well just weld something together and save your money for the
    wrongful death lawsuits

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup... theres that attitude again. The one that is making this 'hobby' a big dollar money grab by these manufacturers. ' Dont do anything yourself or buy anything cheap... buy our big buck researched and developed parts that arent recommended for on-road use either, but we can charge whatever we want for them cause people will buy them just because they are scared of being sued... even tho they will still be responsible if our stuff breaks because of that little line that says we cant be held responsible.'

Whoops... did I say that out loud again?

Look into these kits... see if they are actually legal/ safe for on-road use, and if they will stand behind you if something happens. If they dont... build it yourself, there isnt any difference. Except for the price.
    Just make sure you build it safe, and make it look pretty so not too many guys will jump on you and post your pics up on that stupid 'scary steering' site hehe. And for goodness sake, dont paint anything a contrasting color! So I hear, for some reason, that makes stuff half as safe as it would be if it was black.

Of course, that just my opinion.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I couldn't agree more.

9. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Somebody built it at one time, they can't be the only ones who can make a safe version? just my opinion also. At one time these parts weren't offered and you had to build it yourself if you wanted it.

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Go Mike. Go Mike. Go, go, Go Mike!!

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

First of all theres a difference between CHEAP and INEXPENSIVE. You want cheap, make your own.

[ QUOTE ]
    Crossover, yes. Crossover and high steer, no. That is going to cost you at least double that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Sky built my whole crossover, hi steer setup for cheaper then what others wanted ORD and ORU just for crosover.

12. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

whats high steer i know what crossover is whats this hysteer stuff?

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hehehe... that dang outside voice again.
    Just had to rant for a second or two.

Mike

14. 84CUCV

Sky said $625 for there kit. I wish i had the know how to build my own kit, but not yet. thanks guys

15. 84CUCV

oohh yea, Thumper, right on! I agree as well.

mike

16. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

im just buying ORD's arms and im gonna bend up the draglink myself... should run around $320

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Maybe you missed it but that was a joke, hence the
    [ QUOTE ]
    :p

[/ QUOTE ]

I know when questions like this are asked that is one of the first things people respond with, thinking all you want to do is start throwing steel and welding rods together until you get something that belongs on the scary steering website. In fact that is what some people do but they usually dont ask questions first...

18. 84CUCV

yea i did miss it, just looking around before i spend. Its going to cost more then i thoght it would. Starting to think i am trying to do to much at once. Mike

19. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

what is and how is hysteer an advantage with crossover?

20. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a lot of expensive equipment and tools that go into mass production of any of these more technical parts.
    CNC mills, lathes, computer programs to make all the equipment run together ect. Not only that but the design of any part on a truck is not exactly easy. It takes very knowledgable and skilled people to design and build the first parts for testing.

The long and short of all this is simple. If you feel like you have the skills it takes and equipment needed to properly design steering components then do it. It would probably sava a good deal of money and be quite fun.

Others, myself included, value the input and design that have gone into manufactured products and also recognize the difference between price and value.

Sit back sometime and try to figure what it takes for all of these money grabbing manufacters to even keep their doors open.

I work in Construction and it costs the company I work for $1500 a day to open the office. I here the same things from owners almost daily. I can hire my own people or find someone cheaper than you. Next thing you know they call us back because their do it yourself guy or cheap a$$ contractor has bailed out or can't handle the job.

Industry and people making/building things for other people and selling that product to them is what we all do. I am sure that if I wanted to I could build a cell phone myself and make it work for less than I could buy one, but why somebody already figured out all of the bugs and problems for me, so why would I want to reinvent the wheel.

Just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif