Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap hp??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Mar 26, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Anybody know any cheap ways to boost horsepower? I already have headers and dual exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Big K&N Filter

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

just make sure your your wires, cap and plugs are in excellent shape. Also, make sure timing is at optimal setting for your vehicle

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lots and lots and lots of nitrous... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's a K5, it has the aerodynamics of a strip mall, any effort to boost HP is just pissin in da wind IMO... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

unless you want hp for pulling and running mud where the goal isn't moving really fast.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a K5, it has the aerodynamics of a strip mall, any effort to boost HP is just pissin in da wind IMO... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my opinion also, i believe in just a real good smooth runnin engine with no problems. I don't need the horsepower, i let the gears do the work for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But then again, who wants high horsepower in something the size of an R.V.? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my opinion also, i believe in just a real good smooth runnin engine with no problems. I don't need the horsepower, i let the gears do the work for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif But then again, who wants high horsepower in something the size of an R.V.? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    It is a little gratifying leaving a moron that thinks his supa fast two hundwed hawspowa 17 second honda is badass behind though. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

leaving them behind isn't the only cool thing. With 500 hp and 5.13's and nothing in the bed i can not only get the holeshot, but then wait for them to get up beside u and lay into it and get both tires smoking thanks to the aid of the detroit...old American muscle kind of makes you smile.

but back to the question, i think the easiest way to get HP and keep it reliable is with more cubes. Plain and simple

NITRO

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Why worry about leaving him behind, when you can just CRAWL OVER THEM /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

11. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yup nitrous

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Why worry about leaving him behind, when you can just CRAWL OVER THEM /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    It doesn't work like that...you have to beat them at their own game...and laugh all the way to the finish line. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Some engines take better to intake and exhaust better than others, SBC seems to be right in the middle. You could change your camshaft, intake, exhaust, heads...or just shoot NITROUS through its veins.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Lots and lots and lots of nitrous... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want nitrous unless you want to wreck your truck from what I've gathered /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want nitrous unless you want to wreck your truck from what I've gathered /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it all depends on the size of the shot, the condition of your engine, how stock it is etc. If you have a high mileage stocker then N2O probably isn't for you but if you have a fairly fresh engine a small shot would be ok.

16. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

New camshaft, new intake&carb (even used)

17. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Id say a big K&N filter, a set of headers and good flowing 2.5 inch dual exhaust, and if you dont mind getting dirty a carb rebuild and an edelbrock perforner dome or equivalent. Also as stated give it a tuneup, new cap rotor, wire and plugs, and set the timing, that can do wonders in itself.

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

After headers, exhaust,and intake. The cheapest HP for dollar comes in getting better heads.
    N02 is a quick power adder but in a heavy truck you will burn up bottles fast. You would need a spare 10 lb just for having fun on saturday nite.

19. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifHey how 'bout that "Tornado" thingy in the carb. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

smaller tires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif