Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevy4x4, Aug 26, 2000.

1. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a question on cheap lift idea i had. Well not really my idea but i saw it in a 4x4 mag bout 3 years ago. It was a blazer with a 4 inch suspension lift and 38s. It said in the article the front lift was provided by front mounted rear 1 ton springs. How much custom fabing would need to be done? I doubt that any of you have ever done this but if you have, or know somone with it give me more details. I am to cheap to afford a new suspension lift so i have to realy on junkyard parts. I would guess that the ride wouldn't be as soft as a cloud. Any comments?
    Thanks a lot

[​IMG]Chevy4x4[​IMG][​IMG]
    http://blazer-jimmy.coloradok5.com

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I would think "hard as a rock" would be more appropriate! Surley a set of 4" 1/2 ton springs can't cost too much more than a set of 1 Tons.......I would have to save a little while.....and believe me, mine is a poor-boy project also.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

thats what i was thinking

[​IMG]

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Chevy! I have'nt seen you post in a while!

I know you are in the same area as me so why don't you check out JKL automotive in Haney? The guy has all sorts of Chevy 4x4 and K5 stuff there. Not only that but I have sen him advertise 4" lifts for Chevy's for $300.00 (Canadian $'s Dude!) Just make sure he throws in the raised steering arm! You can get your new U-bolts at any spring shop, like Scott spring for example (On Scott road just across the bridge from you)

I think this would be just as affordable as the 1 ton springs and would ride a lot better. It would also flex a lot better. [​IMG]

Rene (BC boy)

[​IMG]

5. Chili 87 K5

Chili 87 K5 Registered Member

WARNING: The following response is sarcastic and silly, and is in no way intended to represent either actual advice or to embarass the original poster... but sometimes this stuff pops into my head and I have to let it out!

In addition to the 1-ton springs, you'll need to add in the cost of a kidney support belt, kevlar jockstrap, and maybe an ER visit for a cracked pelvis or collapsed lung... and maybe some good fabric detergent to remove the blood and hair from your headliner and seat covers... and does your dental insurance cover restorative work?

Or maybe you could weld on about 500 lbs. of ballast so that the springs will actually flex on occasion. This MAY keep them from rusting into a solid mass... not that your ride will change significantly if they actually do, but rust is SO unsightly when you've lifted your cab to show off your wicked suspension!

Keep on laughin',

Brian 'Chili' G.

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty funny[​IMG]....
    Hey tRusty, thats not new is it? I e-mailed North Shore Off Road and asked how much a 4 inch suspension lift was. New springs in the front and blocks in the rear with a new steering arm and 4 shocks is around 750 $$ Thats not bad scince Canadian Tire sells rancho shocks for over 100 each. If I just buy the blocks, they said it would be 50 for both of em and 2 new springs up front would be 300. Im still thinking bout lifting on the (very)cheap side. How bout getting spring segments from a 3 or 5 ton truck and combining em with the ones on the blazer?[​IMG]

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

There is some discussion about a cheap lift on Grim's current post. Use Jeep Wagoner, or any FSJ for that matter, springs mounted on top of the axle up front and blocks or home brew shackle flip in the rear. Good flex and super cheap. Most expensive parts would be the shocks.
    Jim, 80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

8. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

do you need new shocks when you lift? Can't you have the stock ones if you don't lift more then 4 inches? Buying 4 shocks would cost as much as lifting the blazer.

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yes dude, You'll have to buy new shocks. Atleast you should. I think most kits will come with them. Stock shocks are short man.
    Boss

[​IMG]

10. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Who said I am getting a kit? I'm gonna get blocks in the rear for 50 dollars(cnd), and gonna lift the front in some way i don't know of yet. I am still thinking about that 3 or 5 ton front spring segment lift.....any coments?[​IMG]

11. tRustyK5

Hey Chevy, I bought my R5000's from crappy tire for $52.00 each, not much more than regular shocks. I know they sell the R9000's for around a C note though.
    You just have to watch for them to go on sale.
    I think the FSJ spring idea is a good one. God knows there are enough rusted out Full-size Cherokees here.

[​IMG]

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Oops, My bad, I only read your last post when you said if you need new shocks for a 4" lift. Anyways, Rusty, you bought RS5000's for $52 each??? Man, I hope this doesn't make you feel dumb, but those shocks go regularly for $32 to $35 each. They're like the cheapest shocks out. Great shocks for the money. Too stiff for my likings though.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think that's canadian bucks, bossman.

Why don't you do a shackle flip in the rear using a little ingenuity? FREE as long as you have a torch and maybe a welder. Then you'll have $25 more to go toward your front springs.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

That is canadian dollars. I don't have a welder or a plasma cutter. I am sticking with the blocks.

Chevy4x4[​IMG]

15. tRustyK5

Yep Canadian Dollars (northern Peso)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM FOR A REAR 4" ALL SPRING JUNK
    YARD LIFT. MY 73 WOOD ROACH CHEVY HAD FRONT 4" LEAFS ALREADY
    SO I THOUGHT FOR S**TS GIGGLES I WOULD TRY MY 69 3/4 TON
    REAR CHEVY SPRINGS TO SEE WHAT THEY WOULD DO. I NOW HAVE AN
    HONEST 3&3/4 INCH REAR SPRING LIFT FOR THE COST OF STOCK JUNKYARD SPRINGS. NO BS IT DID WORK.

MUDNUT

17. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Or you could go to the junkyard and get the FRONT rear-spring hanger off of any chevy pick-up and use it as your shackle flip in the back with your own stock leafs. You could even re-drill the holes and lower the new "rear hanger" to give you even more lift in the rear. All this takes is going to the junkyard and telling them what you want and then finding a buddy with torch to remove the stock rear hanger, so you can put on the front one. Presto!! A four inch lift for under a hundred bucks, (not including the shocks or brakelines). If you really wanted to go crazy you could pop for some new greasable bushings and rebuild the springpacks while you are at it. All of this lifting will probably result in the need for a new front and possibly rear driveshaft as well, but it should work.

just my two cents,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

18. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thats a good idea but I am looking for a cheap way to lift the front. I am going with blocks in the rear for sure.

[​IMG]
    Diesel Power