Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap Little Gear Indicator Needle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Sep 24, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Anyone replace one of these recently and happen to still have the part number available. The orange needle that lets you know what gear you're in and the spring that attaches to the column? Need one and NAPA and Schucks don't carry. Thanks!

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

hey, you're in luck. actually i have no idea. i broke mine off about a year ago while trying to adjust it cause it was off a gear. it would read "N" when it was in "D". actually i don't even need it. i know where my gears are at, even with OD. you'll get used to it, just like you know where your gears are at when you have a stick shift. after awhile you won't even look.

o.k. i felt bad about your situation so i just spent 20 minutes looking through my GM parts books. here's the deal. the orange needle and the springs didn't come by themselves, they came in a little package called a transmission indicator dial assembly cover. it's a little cluster that has all the letters for your gears and the housing with the needle and the springs. here's the part number. 469336. the parts group is 4.000-transmission/brakes. the group in that group for the cluster is 4.020. the price is listed at .68 cents. i assume that's actual cost, not what they will actually charge you. you might not be able to get one from GM so a junkyard will probabably be where you will find it. i have a pic of the part, here's where you can find it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~philmo1/cluster.jpg

hope that helps.

Phil in K.C.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. Heath-La. 89GMC

Heath-La. 89GMC 1/2 ton status

I think if you ever fix your steering column, that thing will be screwed up. I fixed the wobbley ass tilt wheel on mine last week and the only thing that i couldnt get back in place was that little orange indicator. I had parts left over after this project and if the only thing thats not gonna work is the orange needle, ill be very happy. I dont need it either. Its an automatic.... its either in forward, neutral, or reverse.