Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap Lunch Challenge!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Here's the challenge:

Create a lunch that's filling, good tasting, and costs less than $0.50.

I'll start off with my "Poor Man's Special"

2 Packages of Ramen (Beef flavor or Chicken Teryaki flavor) - 24 cents
    Dash of Montreal Chicken seasoning, and tobasco sauce

Kool aid to drink.

The portions of seasoning and tobasco used probably add up to maybe 10 cents considering the price for the bottle. Kool aid is cheap enough where a glass or two would be 10-20 cents depending on how much sugar is used in the whole batch.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

$.50 & filling is tough. I could do a lot more with a dollar.

I think this would be under the $.50 limit, but I buy this stuff in bulk and I'm not going to measure it out.

Cup of white rice flavored with beef bouillon. Use 1/2 the recommended water with the bouillon to pump up the flavor. Tablespoon of chopped onion, one minced garlic clove, and some frozen peas.

Give me the full $1.00 and you get to have some beef scraps in it, too.

Water to drink.

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'll keep my PB&J thanks

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

$1.00 is almost easy, there's a reason why it's the "Cheap Lunch Challenge" :D

Just to make things a bit easier for the $0.50, I'd say leftovers used sparingly are allowed; like some leftover beef/pork/chicken in some fried rice, just can't use the leftover lasagna and such ;)

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Get it in pennies, roll them, wrap your hand around them, knock out the hotdog guy

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

edit, due to rule change:

If left-overs are OK you get the beef scraps from my kid's steak in there. Now the dog is pissed, but I'm still at $.50. Hope you're full.:D

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

2 packs of roman and you've just out done your daily intake for sodium and have eaten only about 10% of your daily caloric intake if that....Sounds like a starving heart attack...;)

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can of potted meat and crackers..........Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :laugh:
    Cheaper than dogfood! :p:
    Wonder why? :rolleyes:

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking this probably would only work once though.:haha:

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Just go into your fav fast food joint. Find someone who has their food, but not taken a bite. Fake sneeze all over their food!!! FREE LUNCH!!!!!!

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

True...but it would cost about $0.25 for the cheap pepper to snort in the parking lot for the added real affect...:haha:

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Soup kitchen wearing a dirty jacket , FREE . And you'll get to meet some very wonderful and interesting people who just love everyone :wink1:

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

14. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

just go into a cafeteria at a work place and pocket about 20 packs of soda crackers, go to mcdicks and get some ketchup and ask for some water, then use your 50 cents to get some desert at the corner store.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not that I've done this...

I usually make peanut butter and jelly,or marshmallow sandwiches,--or Ramen noodle soup,and drink water if I'm down to 50 cent lunches..which is quite often!..lately I've been staying in bed until 12 noon,then I can eat breakfast for lunch..then its FREE!:D

I found if you go to your local hospital,they usually have a large cafeteria with good food for the employees and "guests"..(the patients food must be trucked in:rolleyes: )...

I went there when my mom and dad were admitted due to illness,to visit them..and I ate lunch there,and was charged 1.75 for a complete meal,including desert...then the lady asked me at the cash register if I was just a "walk in",or if I was an employee,or had family admitted..

I told her my dad was in the ICU (no lie!)--and she said "enjoy your meal!"..many others were not charged as well..the food was great,better than many other places I could have eaten..

My friend worked as a custodian..he said quite often a guy would come to the school he worked at,and would just get in line with the kids in the cafeteria!..since many teachers,employees,and substitute teachers and other people often visited the school,they would just blend in,and pay the 35 cents or whatever the lunch usually cost,no one was ever questioned..I'm sure thats changed though,nowadays they have people gaurding the doors at most schools..

I don't know how often it happens,but one day I went out for Pizza,and the guy said "you want 2 free Pizzas?--only thing is they are cold!"...I guess they went to deliver them somewhere,and the people who's adress was used said they never called for Pizzas..must have been a prank!..it was nearly closing time,and the owner said "If you dont want,I throw out in dumpster for homeless!"...so I took them..probably happens a lot!..:crazy:

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I can't stand roman... ate WAY to much of it in college. My cheap lunch at work consists of...

1) chicken nuggets TV dinner from wallyworld (chicken, corn, brownie, 87 cents)

2) baggy of animal crackers (its $1.63 for 2 pounds at Wallyworld). I get at least 20 servings per bag, so thats about 8 cents worth...

3) baggy of carrots. I buy them in bulk at Costco, they are dirt cheap and I only have a small amount for lunch.. prolly costs 10 cents or less.

4) pudding pack (22 cents from walmart)

5) Banana (39 cents a pound... but a small banana is less than a pound... figure 25 cents here).

total: buck-fity-two. The TV dinner has to much salt... but the rest of the stuff isn't too bad for ya and it'll fill ya up. I drink about 3 quarts of water while I'm at work too... that prolly helps. Some days I sub in a can of chili (66 cents) or a home made sandwich (get the stuff from moms house for free!) instead. I never buy pop/juice/coffee to drink for work and I don't ever eat restraunt food (unless its leftovers from the day before) because I can't leave my office.

j

17. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

what?

Ok, am I truly in the minority that spends 5-10 on lunch and 5-20 on dinner everyday....( this is food only and has no alcohol included!)
    gabe:confused:

18. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

One 16oz can of Old Milwaukee.:eek: For a buck, I could do Bud Light.

John

19. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I agree with GEORGA GABE on this one. When I am working I want something GOOD to eat with lunch. My little piece of heaven in the hell that I call work! :D I know I could save money by being more frugal with my food, but what is the real cost!? Right now I have this thing for the local Italian bakery. Fresh roast beef, peppers & onions, fresh mozzeralla, mayo, and a little basalmic vinegar, all on a long roll. Total cost: $7.25. You do get alot of sandwich though, and I ususlly split it up throughout the day. One half for lunch, the other as my end of the day snack. The drink is ususally the rest of my $1.50 half gallon of Quick Check Iced Tea from the night before........

20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I work in a resteraunt, I can have whatever I want, gets boring though