Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap Military Style Switches

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Nov 5, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[image]http://us.st7.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/directron_1766_36776148[/image]
    Every i look these are 12$!!!!!

There has to be a cheaper way...anyone know of a place that sells them?

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I dunno, but those are tight! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have those in my truck. I paid closer to $18 each though.
    AutoZone has them in Red, carbon fiber, chrome red and blue for about $10 each. The covers look cheap though, I'm going tear a couple out of the box soon to see if they flip right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more dash pics

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Stuff that is truly Mil-spec is NOT cheap, but it will take an amazing amount of abuse and neglect without ever failing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The testing that is performed on Mil-spec electronics would blow your mind. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It has to stand up to high heat and humidity, salt spray, sand and dust, incredible vibration and impact testing, radiation testing, and the operating temp ranges are typically from -40 to 125 degrees C. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    operating temp ranges are typically from -40 to 125 degrees C. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    THAT WOULD BE INDIANA WEATHER! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    125 on Monday, -40 on Tuesday /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

That isn't even Mil-Spec. Military style switches use screw in connections not the push on spade style.
    I have a handful of Mil-Spec switches that I "aquired" during my time in the service. True Mil-Spec switches alone run around $25 a piece, the fancy fighter style cover costs extra, not sure how much because we didn't use them on anything in my battalion.
    But like was already said they can handle almost anything, waterproof, dust, heavy impacts. If any one has a source for mil-spec components or somewhere you can order Military parts let me know I'm looking for new lenses for my IR, and black out lights. I'm gonna get my Burb set up with black out drive some day soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

125* C is like 300* F

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    125* C is like 300* F

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that sounds about like Indiana weather! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

BESIDES I DIDN'T PUT *C DID I? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. jjlaughner

Yeah these are spade termainals from a racing place (they sold military stuff on ebay too /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif), anyhow he quoted $25 each and I got 3 for $18 each shipped, this was before AutoZone started carrying them /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

"THAT WOULD BE INDIANA WEATHER!
    125 on Monday, -40 on Tuesday "

welcome to michigan

11. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Colemans military surplus has them, near elizabethville Pa. I found them in their wrecking yard in a pile of electronics I couldn't identify. I'll look for more next time I go or you may have someplace simular closer to home.

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've bought from Colemans before but didn't realize they sold the lights and such as well. I'm looking at getting a generator from them next year some time. If you're out there again some time I'm looking for the blackout marker lights off of an M715 truck. I want the full set if they have them should be 6 pieces I belive both fronts with the turn signals, both rears with the brake lights and then the rear dedicated blackout lights.

If they have them let me know how much they want for them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    You can see what they look like
    [​IMG]

and the front ones
    [​IMG]

Thanks