Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap parts washer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OldBlew, Jun 15, 2002.

1. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

I've got an old dish washer that is coming out of my kitchen this weekend. The pump still works ok, but it doesn't cycle properly.
    I'm thinking of setting up the thing in my garage, dump some solvent in it, disable the heater, and dump all of my dirty crap in it.
    I think it should work ok, but I figured I would check it out with you guys before I end up burning my my house down!
    Any ideas?

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    If you run it as is (heat water detergent etc) you will be amazed how clean parts will get with that alone)dont ask how I know). You wont have "flash rust" problems due to the drying cycle. Solvent might eat the plastic parts of your pump etc quickly. I know the solvent I use will eat PVC gloves.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately it would be very bad to cycle solvent through it, anything flammable would cath fire, trust me on this, plus if you were cycling the stuff, everything would get clogged real quick. The hot water detergent combo works great, thats how engine shops clean any motor blocks they get in, high pressure super-heated steam.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i know for a fact you will eat your DW up if you put solvent in it. like the rest of the guys said. HOT water and SOAP. you can use a nice harsh soap to. not just dishwasher soap.
    grant /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

thanks guys. I'll give it a try.