Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap place to buy K&N

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Jul 24, 2000.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hello from sunny Bay Area,CA. I have a question for ya....where is the best place to buy a K&N airfilter for a 84K5 with a stock 350? and do they really add 5 horsepower like they clame? thanks

2. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

I just ordered 3- 1 for my 90 K5, my buddys 86 350 with the 4"inch air cleaner and 1 for his wifes 94 Jimmy. The shipping to Pennsylvania was $10.50. Cheapest place I found was www.discountautoparts.com Mine was 35.89 and his was $42.91 Good Luck I will let you know about better gas mileage, but don't know about HP. They ship for Zip 92502 (Calif.)but no tax because you buy it from NY.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I got mine from Pep-boys for 30 something dollars. Works great, I can't tell if there was any power difference though.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A mechanic I know says that people swear by their K&N because they spent so much more for it, they really believe there is a difference. I used to have one on a 91 TBI 350, and didn't really notice any difference in normal driving. Off the line at full throttle, there might have been a little more power, but was it really worth 50 bucks? And if there was any gas savings, did it add up to 50 bucks worth of fuel? Let's just say I'm not convinced it was the best money I spent........

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I will go out on a limb here(and may get chewed up for it), If it is the only mod you are planning on doing, by itself it will not make much difference and you realistically wont notice much. But if you put a less restrictive exhaust (like a cat-back) on with the K&N filter the two will work together to give you more HP.
    You can only put out, as much as you can take in, and you can only take in, as much as you can put out, so increasing one side without the other and you will only see moderate gains. I agree with your Mechanic its kind of a placebo effect, you figure I spent $50 so yeah I can feel the difference. If you plan on upgrading your exhaust go for it. .

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It will also pay for itself after a while because instead of replacing the air filter you can just clean the K&N and it helps keep water out to some extent.

90K5

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I already have a flowmaster,and I am going to put some headers on it in the future...thanks for info!!

8. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I'll be first here to make a good claim for K&N. I didn't bother with a stock replacement, but I installed a Edelbrock chrome breather with a K&N 14"x3" filter. I did not notice any off the line power, but I did notice that I had more power once I was going like to say pass someone. I also keep up with my gas mileage closely, and after that mod alone mpg went from 10.7 to 12.4. So I think I've paid for it by now. Just my $.02

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Dont want to step on toes but my local autoshone has them for 35$

10. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

I saved tax.. then payed shipping..broke even then mine cost $36.00 on-line at Autozone it was $40.00. My buddies was $65.00 at Autozone and on-line was $43.00 so we saved some.

11. 76GMCJimmyinAZ

76GMCJimmyinAZ Registered Member

Just put mine on last weekend. Don't know if it has helped mpg or not, yet. Since I put mine on at the same time as MSD-6A ignition and MSD blaster coil, I guess I'll never know exactly how much performance and/or fuel savings I'll see from it. BUT, if it lasts as long as they say it will, between the fuel savings (claimed) and not buying other replacement filters for a couple years, it has to pay for itself sometime! Besides, at 8.2 mpg (currently), I've nowhere to go but UP!!!!!

GUZZLES GAS BUT IT'S FREE AND CLEAR!!!

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

J.C. Whitney has a good price on them.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Even though your dropin 50 buck or so I think it's well worth it! Not ony do you NEVER need to buy another paper style but all the dyno testing done comparing paper style an no filter at all the K&N beat them all!
    I do agree that by itself it ain't gonna make a neck snapping difference but it is an excelent product and would recomend it to anyone doing an engine build up!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com