Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap power mods???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Sep 14, 2004.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

After my last trip to the dunes it left me thinking what can i do for fairly cheap to add more power to my truck. Right now its a bone stock 350 tbi. I have a 3" exhaust to a single flowmaster 40 series, and the stock manifolds. I know i could pull the engine and do a build up, but would perfer not to do that. Considering i do not have the time or money right now to do it. I am a broke ass college student. Can anyone recomend a cheap mod that gives you a little more go?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Headers do the trick. Or a nice intake. but I guess you have TPI so it might be more $$... You could always stuff in a new cam?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Edelbrock performer intake manifold, The Holley complete throttle body assembly ready to bolt on, throttle body spacer.

4. jekquistk5

I was thinking more like 300 bucks or cheaper, not $1000 i know i could always regear but id rather wait till i get the money for a 14bff and a d60, and new rims ect. just something to give me a tit bit more

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Headers, throttle body spacer, and a good air cleaner will do quite a bit to wake it up without breaking the bank. later on you can add a good edelbrock or holley aluminum TBI intake and a summit cam kit(cheap) which will add a few more.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

headers -$150
    intake - $150
    cam - $100

headers and intake first, gotta let the motor breathe. next step would be the cam, but with the tbi, you may need to get a different chip made, depending on what cam you pick.

7. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

not sure if this works for american cars and trucks but you could try adding a bunch of type R and vtech stickers like all the ricers do /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Go here:cfm-tech.com
    Check the box that says 40HP for $265. It does all it says .It is all is simple bolt on stuff. I am running a very similar set up. Works great You will get better MPG as well.
    I also recomend getting a MSD Coil and good wires and Seting timing from 0 to 4 degrees
    For a little over $300 you will be impressed.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    After my last trip to the dunes it left me thinking what can i do for fairly cheap to add more power to my truck. Right now its a bone stock 350 tbi. I have a 3" exhaust to a single flowmaster 40 series, and the stock manifolds. I know i could pull the engine and do a build up, but would perfer not to do that. Considering i do not have the time or money right now to do it. I am a broke ass college student. Can anyone recomend a cheap mod that gives you a little more go?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Find a coke cluck with a good running BBC. Offer him $100.00 when he's jonesing for more dope. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If anyone has some links to smog leagal TBI Blazer headers for 150 I sure would like to see them.

I would also like to see where to get a TBI intake for 150.

Most headers I have found for TBI Blazers are around $380+.
    Intakes are $225 and up

11. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Take of the hard top and drop all other weight you can. A buddy of mine took of his bumpers, rear seat, hard top and put a fiberglass hood on it and says he did feel a difference. Also, I run my tires at 10 lbs. which seems to work pretty good, haven't lost a bead yet. Also, Fuel injected engines seems to benefit a lot from a good airfilter and also some headers would be good, a 3" single exhaust should be fine for a stock engine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jekquistk5

I have a K&N filter, and i JUST bought it before the trip, the next trip i will not have 4 spare tires and about 200 lbs of misc crap in the back(to make a long story short i finally talked the women into going and the only way she would go is if we only took my truck, and it was a 1 day thing so i had no where to put my crap) But ill be in the dunes this weekend so i will let ya know how it goes. But thanks for all the tips! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you going this weekend? wish i could afford to go /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

14. jekquistk5

Yup ill be up there this weekend! I just got paid /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and accepted another job at Universal Wireless for a sales, and phone tech at 9 an hour plus commision /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So that makes my job tally at 3 kinda crazy, three jobs, 16 credit hours in school! Its going to be a fun semester

15. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dare i say it.??

Nitrous.

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. jekquistk5

[ QUOTE ]

Dare i say it.??

Nitrous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said Cheap, And i do want my motor to last me a little bit longer

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Nitrous is cheap. Where else will you get 100hp for $300?

Also, I didn't know a TBI engine needed different headers. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif You have to have a bung for the O2 sensor, but what else is different?