Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap power tricks... kinda

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Dec 16, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

would i notice any difference by changing to some MSD superconductor 8.5mm plug wires and rebuilding my TBI and adding an injector spacer? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif not going to add anything major cuz it's being replaced next year.

2. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I'd like to know also, anyone? Bueler?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wires you aren't going to notice.

If the TBI is having problems, yes. If everything is adjusted correctly (TPS, IAC, etc) and it isn't now, it would be quite noticeable, at least in driveability. I would have to assume, not dealing with TBI personally, that if a TBI is similar to a Q-jet, there really isn't much in the way of wear items to replace when rebuilding it. Obviously most Q-jets don't have TPS, and none have injectors or IAC, but that would be about it in the way of "wear items" that are different I'm thinking. In other words, its not the actual "rebuilding" that fixes problems, its the process of cleaning passageways and re-gasketing that solves a lot of them.

Don't know much about the injector spacers, kinda have a feeling its been covered on this board before though.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Hey, Muddy, try flipping your air cleaner lid upside down...does wonders for me, and it sounds cool...just don't drive through any puddles too fast!
    Wires don't really do much but resist heat when you get thicker ones.
    MSD ignition, at least the one I had, did nothing. The best thing is to run synthetic oil. (BIG difference for me!) It'll run a lot cooler and I actually gain about 1-2 MPG when using full synthetic...not to mention it lubes the engine a lot better.
    I'd buy a K&N, put it in your stock air cleaner, have the air cleaner upside down when you need power when it's dry, but when it rains, flip it back over so no water gets in your engine.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

PS...what are you replacing it with???

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It's always cheaper to fix what's wrong to gain horsepower rather than bolting stuff on.

Well, you'll notice the wires if the ones you've got are junk.

To round out the ignition system (for ~$100):
    New coil
    New cap
    New rotor
    New AC RapidFire plugs
    New Taylor spiro-pro wires or whatever they're called. I've had mine resting on my headers before and they never burnt. Splitfire used to make good wires even if their plugs aren't worth the hammer blow to break them. I'm not a fan of MSD or Accel wires.

If you get a spacer, get a 2" phenolic one. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time. 2" gives it a better shot down to the intake and if you use plastic then less heat will find its way into the throttle body. It won't give you any better bottom end but at ~3500rpm it might give you five ponies.

You can look at your injectors while the truck is running using a timing light. If they don't have a "bell" pattern then you can clean them manually or run some stuff through the gas tank. New ones are outrageous at ~$80/each.

et cetera. I'm supposed to be studying for final exams.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll notice a difference if ANY of the components are bad, the problem is, if you spend $100 to replace good parts with new parts, you won't see a BIT of difference. (And because a part is new doesn't mean its good)

There is no reason to replace plugs, caps, rotors, or coils if there is no problem with them. A simple visual inspection will tell you if they can be re-used most of the time, but if you are having problems such as a rough idle (missing, etc) and the plugs and wires are 10 years old, then its obviously false economy not to simply replace them. They aren't easy to test, however, if you simply want more power, changing them isn't going to do a thing if they are still fine. (again, if you are having a problem, you just have to hope that new wires are good, but you rarely hear of new wires being bad) You could put wires on there that can conduct 7 million volts, and good condition stock wires would net the same result, which was my intended message. High dollar wires may not burn, but just keep the stock wires off of the headers/manifolds and you won't have problems either.

Cap and rotor are real easy. Are the contacts clean and not damaged? If corroded but NOT eroded, clean them up with some steel wool. Check for cracks or loose terminals. If those check out ok, they are good. They rarely fail, (cracks are most common) and you can tighten loose terminals up.

Coil is another one of those hard to test items, but if the wires aren't broken or damaged to it, and you aren't having other ignition related problems, leave it alone.

Definitely cheaper and more noticeable, especially when considering cost/time, (rebuild TBI vs change plug wires) to fix existing problems.

8. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The spacer with two holes with help your bottom end. The two holes increase the air velocity (very important) at lower RPMs so you gain more low end power. Now if you where to use an open spacer(4-barrel carbs), that decreases the velocity because it makes the plenum larger. The performance gains of an open spacer would be increased top end power. Some spacers integrate both the holes and the open. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've only seen three kinds of spacers. The only kind of TBI spacer I've ever seen are the ones that are basically extensions of the barrels. This improves velocity which helps volumetric efficiency but I doubt you're going to notice much difference until you get some RPMs going. I don't know. Seat of the pants method shows no improvement in my experience.

Now for the open carburetor spacers, I can't see how that'd benefit by much. It makes the air more turbulent which you want to avoid on a grand scale. The ones I like (speaking purely quadrajet here) are the ones with three holes. One for each primary and then the secondaries are a single giant one. The secondaries are pretty much tied together anyway and all you're trying to do is get as much air down there as possible. I've been trying to find another one of these spacers. I had an aluminum one I sold to a guy but now I wish I hadn't.

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

To contradict what was said, I replaced relatively new GMPP wires with the MSD 8.5's and I noticed a difference in idle, off idle snap, and mileage (not too great, about .5 MPG). A good buy in my opinion. Better conductivity is not a bad thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. muddysub

yeah i have a buddy that got a set of the MSD wires and says they helped.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'd buy a K&amp;N, put it in your stock air cleaner, have the air cleaner upside down when you need power

[/ QUOTE ] i already have an open air cleaner with a K&amp;N 14"x4".

i have a set of thorley headers sitting on the floor in my shed, i suppose i could try them out. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep but to flip over your stock air cleaner is cheaper and makes a cool sound /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. muddysub

my open air cleaner sounds and looks better, i used to have the stock lid flipped but i like mine more. [​IMG]

14. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

first of all i think flipping over your air cleaner is not smart in an off-road vehicle you dont know whats flying in there. Second of all my friends uncle who does a lot of hotrodding actually told my friend and I to put a throttle body spacer of like an inch and a quarter and we would notice a definite power increase. We have the same trucks. It seems to me it would be more of a gain in torque but i dont know. (P.S.- if you put a K&amp;N on thier they sound just as cool)

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, i flipped it back over today. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    (P.S.- if you put a K&amp;N on thier they sound just as cool)

[/ QUOTE ] i have a 14x4" K&amp;N