Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap rear disk conversion - PLS HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Sep 30, 2001.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Question is, I am in the process of purchasing the rear disk brackets from 45ACP, and need to know everyone's experiences when converting over to a rear-disc setup.

I have priced out a few parts so far, but I need to know what the BEST low-cost solution is. I have looked into 77 Eldorado calipers, and have found them for $130 each, loaded. But I really have no use for the parking brake function, so what is the alternative caliper to purchase? I have also looked into rotors, but I don't know that I have the least expensive choice in mind while searching for costs.

Here is what I need from my new brake setup:
    1. NO PARKING BRAKE - Why do I need the darn thing anyhow? I have had the truck this long, and never had the PB functional. Why do it now?
    2. Quality parts, that will not fail. I am not looking for "cheap" (low quality) parts, I am simply looking for a low-cost way to complete this job the best way possible. (In the last month, I have dumped over $1500 into little projects for the Blazer... the wife as had ENOUGH) [​IMG][​IMG]

So for all those folks out there with rear disc setups, PLEASE feed me your thoughts on next project for my Blazer. I need all the info I can get, so tell me all there is to know!

As always, I appreaciate all the help I have received from this board. You folks are some of the best on the Internet, and have helped me build my Blazer up as BIG and as BAD as it is today!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks again!

<font color=red>Just give me a tank, and point me in the right direction!</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>DONT MESS WITH AMERICA!</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok here is what I would do (having done this conversion)...

the rotors &amp; calipers you are looking for are the same as the front D44 axles. you should be able to get calipers for around 40 bucks each, and the rotors for about 35 bucks each.

that should about sum it up. no real major problems, however if you have a manual tranny you might wanna reconsider the other calipers.

best way to get the calipers (in my opinion) is to get them from TSM... they come with the parking brake arm (which doesn't come with the other edlorado calipers, they assume you'll be using the ones that came off the vehicle), and they also have pads; they are fully loaded.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. KRAZIE87K5

Wookie-

No $#!t??!!! Those prices are great! Where did you get your parts from? What year, make(DUH), model vehicle can I use when I go to the parts store to get those same parts? I would like to buy loaded calipers, but don't need the parking brake since I have a auto tranny.

What else can I expect to need other than calipers and rotors? Is there any hardware I will need?

<font color=red>Just give me a tank, and point me in the right direction!</font color=red>

4. solowookie

you know I don't think it really matters what year you use as long as you specify a 3/4 ton D44... there are 2 different versions of the D44, but I believe the calipers should be the same, and if not I'm sure somebody will be a long to correct me.

I'd highly recommend those little braided lines. they go from the end of the brake line into the back of the caliper to give it a little flex. you can get those from TSM.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. KRAZIE87K5

I have seen those short braided-hoses on their website. They go for $50 a set I believe. The question I have is, so they give you the little bracket that bolts to the axle flange to hold the hardline-to-braided line conneciton?

Is this really all there is to doing this conversion?!!! This seems to damn easy... Someone please stop me, and tell me the downside to coverting the truck to rear-disc!

Thanks Wookie! Did you purchase from TSM for your conversion? Where you happy with their service?

6. solowookie

yea I got all my stuff but the rotors from TSM, and this conversion really isn't very difficult. TSM is awesome, and I'd buy from them again anytime!

7. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

what does it take exactly and how much? $$ if you dont mind I am also interested in doing the switch....thx Mike

8. solowookie

you know what it has been awhile, and I was doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time so I never really kept track of prices.

cheapest way to go is to PM misfit, and if he is making backing plates he does real good work. the backing plates are much cheaper this way.

secondly the rotors are gonna cost the same amount either way.

then if you want a parking brake I'd get the calipers from TSM because they come loaded, and they price is pretty decent too. if no parking brake then get the front calipers for a 3/4 ton D44 axle.

rotors are 3/4 ton d44 rotors also.

then I'd get the braided brake lines from TSM, and that is it.

if misfit is selling backing plates, and you go the cheap route then I'd say you're talking a little over $300, and if not thing you are probably looking between $600 - $700 (just numbers of the top of my head).

9. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

just my .02 worth. I'm running a TSM kit in the rear on a 12bolt. It cost 200 for the kit. I then had to get calipers for a camero and some brake lines. Total was less than 300. No the calipers do not have ebrake hookups on them, those calipers are off a Eldorado and they are about 35 each but hte core is the killer, 90. I have had no probs what so ever with any of the parts.

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

FYI, misfit is no longer making brackets. I already PM'd him to try and get some and he said he is not making them and does not know when he would do it again. [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

11. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I got misfit's last set about two months ago. Here's a breakdown of what I have into going to discs on the 14bolt.
    Misfit's brackets: $65
    new d44 calipers at Autozone: $17 ea. with core
    new discs at Autozone: $30 ea.
    new pads: $15
    2 new hard lines: $8
    I bought some extended front lines from summit so I reused the rubber standard lengths on the rear. So I kinda consider those free. I used some flat stock with a 90 degree bend welded to the axle tubes to hard mount the rubber and hard lines where they come together. It's an easy swap.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

12. solowookie

yea I've actually heard that Wes, but I'm hoping / assuming he will start making them again if he gets enough demand... he really does do good work on those.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The only difference in calipers (for D44/D60/10B) is how the flex line attaches (size of thread for the banjo fitting and some have funny ridges that make hooking up different lines of the same banjo bolt size imposible). Bring in one of your front calipers with you when you get the ones for the rear so that you can be sure they match.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

14. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Just a thought, I haven't seen the brackets but if they are out of flat steel, and he has an autocad drawing of the bracket, then you can get most any machine shop to do them. Or better yet, if it is flat the fastest way would be a waterjet shop, using gritted high pressure water to cut it, very quick and clean. And you can get them cheap, esp if you do a bunch at a time.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

15. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I did mine for about $180, but I made my own brackets. That is for eveything including the little stuff like new caliper bolts. If you want details, PM me. I can get most all the part #'s.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

16. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

Are these the same prices and parts for a corp 12 bolt from a 79 K5 saw triaged's post "The only difference in calipers (for D44/D60/10B) is how the flex line attaches" and im still kinda new to this so im wondering where i fit in.

17. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I just finished mine this weekend.
    $125 - TSM brackets
    $28 - rotors (88+ 1/2 ton 4x4 front - $14 ea.)
    $36 - calipers (83 Monte Carlo - $18 ea.)
    $25 - spacers to get the brackets to fit right (long story) many thanks to Steve Frisbie for getting those to me
    $25 - brake pads, lines, caliper bolts, and other misc consumables
    All total about $240. It really was pretty much a bolt on affair. I just had to do some minor tweaking here and there to get it all to fit right.

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

18. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What about a 14 bolt FF in the rear...
    I want rear disc breaks!!!!!!!

19. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

That's what I'm wondering! I'd want a 1 ton set up though for the rear.

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

20. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

dont really know about a 14FF .. mine was on a 14SF. I did the rear disc brakes when I converted from 8 to 6 lug. Outlaw612 did rear disc on his 14FF for pretty cheap. Might PM him for more details.

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)