Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap rear flex?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't think I have much left to gain out of the rear but I have to ask. How can I gain some cheap rear flex? I am running stock springs with 2" add a leaf and 2" block. I am staying with the standard GM shackle setup so I can tow without worries. I also have already removed the spring pack bolts so the leaves can fan out. What else can I do to net some more flex? I don't have shocks in the rear so that is not a limiter.

Harley

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am staying with the standard GM shackle setup so I can tow without worries. .... I don't have shocks in the rear so that is not a limiter.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry that I can't be of any help on more flex, but I have to question why you wish to retain the standard GM shackle setup so you can tow without worries but you don't run shocks in the rear? Unless I'm missing something... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Hossbaby50

The no shocks in the rear is a temperary thing courtesy of GM's poor design. The drivers side upper mount is trashed, and the pasenger side upper is bent. I am going to replace them with Ford towers and fab some lower mounts when I get a chance.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

well the only option left if linked suspension.

is it cheap, probably not in most peoples opinon.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

AH! ok, thats makes more sense... I was confused for a minute. Short of maybe moving the stock hanger back and getting some custom 56" springs I think your about as good as you can get with the add-a-leaves....

the add-a-leaves and block are probley making the ride stiff, probley about the same as 4" lift springs. What I done was put the 1/2ton leaf pack under the top two 56" leaves... thus a 1/2ton 56" spring that I'm going to use with a shackle flip.

7. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

You might try 56" springs, flipping the overload, and if you are willing remove the leaf above the overload, and everyother leaf going up(not the best option if you tow much).

I got mine from http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-1&productId=272862&mediaCode=ZX&appId=386691

I think these are the ones, 2000# load rating(same as stock 4X4 1/2 ton) and 8 leafs, I just flipped the overload and installed the ORD add-a-leaf. Flex is pretty good but the weight of the Sub helps.

Anyway nothing new, other wise you may try the 57" Ford 2WD springs or dont tow with your flexy rear.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What do you tow? It is a K5, it can't be anything stellar that this makes a whole lot of sense to me.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Getting rid of the add-a-leaf and running a 4-inch block would help flex, but it may induce wheel hop. I've run 4-inch blocks with stock springs without a problem in the past. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Hossbaby50

Even with only a 2" block I can twist up the springs pretty good. The TPI and poorman's doubler really put alot of torque on those things when I am offroad.

As for what I tow, nothing really, but I want to be able to tow whatever I want when I want to and not have to worry about things. In the past I have towed a 16ft camp trailer. It is actually pretty heavy though since it is a 1963 year model with kitchen, bathroom, 2 beds, 40 gallon water tank. The trailer is also made primarily out of Oak & Iron since it is so old. No weight saving ideas or materials were available back then. I would guess it weighs in the neighborhood of 4000lbs maybe more with all the gear, water, etc.

Harley

11. Hossbaby50

Would swapping in greaseable bolts and bushings help with flex any? Just another thought I had. Any real gains to be had with greaseable?

Harley

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The "easiest" would be to run a 1/2 ton Chevy front hanger and then run 56" springs with the 2" block.

13. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

only gains with greasable is lifespan of those components. As for gaining flex I'd say even tho you WANT to tow...towing+too much flex=BAD things. So yer gonna either have to live with what ya got, or decide...is this a REAL offroad machine, or do ya wanna still use it for its utility purposes.

14. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hijack but how bad would it be to tow a 20 ft boat with a homemade through the shackle shackle flip?? I have the stock overload spring and 4" blocks right know and I wanna get rid of the blocks.
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif