Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap rear lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Judd, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone here has lifted the back by re-positioning the rear spring hangers lower on the frame. I was looking at it and kinda figured I could drop it by at least 2-3 inches or so. I'm thinking about dropping both the front and the rear shackle mounts.
    Also, how beneficial would moving the mounts rearward about 3-6 inches or so be-as far as getting a better departure angle. I'm also running a FF14 bolt rear, 208 t.case and a 700R so my drive shaft agle ain't all that great. Am I running off on a tangent, should I go with a shackle flip or maybe the Ford spring thingie? I'm planning right now, so any input would be appreciated. I'm looking at running 38-40 inch tires with minimal lift as I can get away with. I'm thinking 2-3 inch body lift, a sawzal and the smallest spring lift to get it to work. What do ya'll think my best set-up would be?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6" lift using ORD 4" shackle flip and 2" lift springs in rear. Along with the body lift and finder trimming should clear the tires you mentioned. I have a 6" lift and am planning on the 4" ORD shackle flip and 2.5" springs this spring to get rid of the blocks I'm currently using. I'd also like to add a 2" body lift and some 39.5s

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

very good Q's, i am wanting to find out similar info also, i was thinking about some kind of hanger/shackle extensions of some kind, i need to carefully study my chassis in the near future and use a tape measure and guage too, hmm

im staying tuned to this thread.

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'd recommend a shackle flip. I wouldn't try to relocate anything.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm thinking about dropping both the front and the rear shackle mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than go this way; a cheap, effective shackle flip can be had by cutting the front spring hangers off of the rear of a donor truck, then moving these to the rear of yours (after you remove your rear hanger). This provides roughly 4" of lift, and is cheeeeeaaaap. Ask pureinsanity about this, he is doing this mod.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also, how beneficial would moving the mounts rearward about 3-6 inches or so be-as far as getting a better departure angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to relocate something, move your rear mount back a few inches (4), and run the ford 57" rear spring with an aggresive (rearward) shackle angle. I am sure some of the suspension experts may weigh in on this for theory and function, but I know this works, and pretty well.

6. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Man, this is a great site. Didn't have a computer back when I wheelin in my Jeep. Would have been great to have all the ideas on stuff back then.
    Any more opinions? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif