Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap remedy for black sludged 1.5" steel drain pipe ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Aug 16, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cheap remedy for black sludged 1.5\" steel drain pipe ?

soft black slimeyt sludge in old galvanized steel drain pipe, what is a good cheap substance that will eat it and make it move along into the 4" tile in the ground that it goes directly into ?

thanks for anything

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Re: cheap remedy for black sludged 1.5\" steel drain pipe ?

hydrochloric acid, in a atleast a 70% solution with water will get it moving /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I wouldnt go any higher solution or it'll eat the pipe too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif oh I forgot, CHEAP, um, um, I got it! try brakeklean in a spray can.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how much is the acid and where can you get it ? ace hardware hopefully ? theres no where else cept a big R store and wal mart and a county hardware store but its tiny, and so is true value hardware store, tiny as hell mom and pop setup

thanks

4. unclematty

Your probably not going to find it in any of those places, try your local university, ...wait, wait!! hold the presses! try liquid plumber, straight, if I remember correctly it is some kind of acid that won't hurt your pipes, I've used it to clean pipes, works good. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

maybe dollar tree would have something cheap but i dont know what to look for as far as active ingredient in the junk goes
    ?

what do i look for, if something else than hydro acid, if is any good that is.

thanks

6. unclematty

look for some kind of drain opener, that is CAUSTIC or ACIDIC. it will have a caution sign on it, pretty much any kind of drain opener. use it straight. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

After you get it clean, pour a little bleach down the drains to keep it clean. Pour it down and let it be for a few hours. Works like a charm to keep'm clog free.

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

I use Rid-X and works fine, not fast but loads of bacteria in it, = WASH HANDS!!

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You can buy sulfuric acid at most hardware stores. It's used to open drain pipes going to septic tanks. It comes in gallon jugs and I think it's around $25/gallon. The problem with liquid drain openers is that it doesn't really clean out the pipe, that's why they say to reapply every few months in the directions. The liquid will make "an opening" in the pipe to let the fluid flow but leaves the sludge on the walls of the pipe allowing for the clog to reappear in the same area. That being said, what I'd do is buy a 50ft drain snake. That'll get rid of any clog and it cleans the walls of the pipe too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is it too difficult to replace the pipe?
    I ended up ditching most efforts to rehab a threaded steel drain pipe and am in the process of replacing it with PVC. At least the pvc won't ever rust and the joints shouldn't leak.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it too difficult to replace the pipe?
    I ended up ditching most efforts to rehab a threaded steel drain pipe and am in the process of replacing it with PVC. At least the pvc won't ever rust and the joints shouldn't leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is, the pipe is going through concrete slab of this building, it is wayyyyyyy more of a project than i can fathom tackling, id feel alot more confident totally disassembling and reassembling an entire car or truck, than to bust important concrete like this up just to fix it.

also is there a trick to finding out from above ground where a 4" tile is buried circa around 1947 ? run a ton of water through it while doing the clothes hanger/wire in both hands pointing together trick ? or ? that trick works i can do it out here and they will point swing to each other out here in a few places around the property, but which direction the tile are running i have no idea, would they not swing together if you are not paralell with the tile ?

thanks