Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap Rock Lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I need some suggestions on what and where to get some cheap lights to use as rocklights. I need something that has a built in mount.

What is the best place to mount the lights? How many do I need?

I went to AutoZone tonight and got some of there $10 special and they suck. Want something decent quality for a good price. Thanks

Harley

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hope fully sombody can help you with p/n's but im pretty shure it is at napa, you get tractor lights(crome spotlights) and than there is a part number fro a small plane landing light's blub that will fit in them, my uncle did it 350,000 candle power for 29 dollars pretty cool but i forgot all the details, sorry,
    dale

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How much room you got ? I used to have the 50 buck 6 " round chrome Autozone lights , worked just as bright as KC's ( they live on c'moe's truck now ). I have the small 5 " square Ralley generic ones on the bumper now, they are bright too. Not as bling as KC's HID's or anything else but for 25-50 bucks they rock. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Hossbaby50

I am not really looking for really powerfull lights. I am looks for small lights. Like 2" round, 2x3" rectangle, stuff light that. These lights are going to be in the undercarriage of the truck so you can see what is under you and where your tires are at night.

I have a set of 6" ProComp 130 watt lights for my truck but that is WAY to bright for night time rock crawiling. When you are rock crawling at night you want to be about to see what your truck is doing but not blind the spotter or the rig infront of you.

Harley

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

oh well just use the stock blub in the tractor lights

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm thinking of getting some 12V flourescents. Nice white light without a lot of glare. I've already got several small, metal housing 55W lights I got on clearance for $20 a pair. Been setting out there in the shop for about 2 years and just never got around to mounting them. Check places like Big Lots, they have these "driving" and "cornering" lights on cheap quite a bit. HF has the square plastic 55W for less than $8 on sale once in a while.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Just a quick question but if I remember from last summer folks were mountin the lights in wheel wells and what not. Why? This is what my mind comes up with at times so bear with me. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Why not mount lights on magnets up out of harms way off the fenders? They can shine down and illuminate the surroundin ground and can still be moveable if they look like they'll be in harms way.

Like most of my ideas this is prolly dumb and there is a reason why but just a thought. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ko now it's time for you to laugh. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. Hossbaby50

A fair amount of lights are self grounding. So you must have them mounted to metal so they have a ground.

They mount them in there wheel wells to see there tires for tire placement. I am going to have one light per wheel well and probably 2 more under the truck so you can see axles, driveshafts, etc.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I looked for a long time for rock lights and never found what I really wanted so as usual the do it yourselfer in me took over. I decided to get what I really wanted I would have to build them.

So what I did was procure some aluminum, 1/4" thick plexiglass, The plexiglass is different stuff. We used to bend it on a steel break at work and it didn't crack. Anywho, I tigged the housing and found some small halogen bulbs to go inside. Screwed them in and ran the wires through a small hole in the housing. Sealed it all up and stuck in a couple thread serts which will get rubber washers around them to seal up plus some silicone. Nice part about these is when they mount to the frame they cast light in a 45 degree angle down and out. Works out nicely and not glaring bright. Anyway here's a shot or two of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am using 4 of those small rectangular "driving lights" They are the goofey yellow looking ones the ricers put under the plastic front end. The yellow light is kinda different to get used to but it is doable. They are rated at 55W and I got them for $20 a pair at HF. I also had a set of fog lights for a while and those worked okay. One inside each fender is plenty for me. The rectangle pattern casts ligh real nice and wide.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I imagine your getting the same kind of light dispersal that I am. Mine shine straight down from the frame and out about 10 feet or so. I had never thought about using those small ricer lights. That's cool somebody has to put those kind of accessories to good use!

12. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

You get a generic tractor light like a 4" round housing at the parts store we worked it it was Petersons brand and they were plastic hosuings with a mounting stud. I then popped a aircraft light in it, 4309 ? i think(i'll double check) they have a rating of 100,000 candle power.

total $50 for 4 lights

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

sylvania bulb 4509

14. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Wal-mart carriers tractor lights. They are under $10 and they have a rubber housing. I think they are 55w lights. Can't really remember though. Maybe it is time to take anouther trip to Wal-mart.

15. Hossbaby50

I picked up 2 Tractor lights at Napa today I am going to wire in in a few minutes. Hopefully they will be bright.

$10 each, rubber armor casing. they are GE lights.

Harley

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got some little 55w halogen lights and bolted them to my hitch. My buddy put them in his boat. They are oval shaped so he used a hole saw and filed out the oval. Once the light was fitted he used some silicone to hold them in and I cut and rebent the mounting brackets to hold them in from the back side.
    [​IMG]