Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap spare tire mounting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by audacious, Apr 13, 2004.

1. audacious

audacious Registered Member

looking into getting rid of the inside spare tire mount, and mounting the tire on the outside in front of the tailgate. is it worth a try? i have looked all over and found nothing less than 300$ for a blazer built one that comes off the bumper. thought about taking a bronco mount and modifying it to work on my blazer. been done before? anything i might need to cut or reinforce? i have glanced at the bronco setup and it looks to connect in two places on the right side back corner, locks on a slant in the middle of the tailgate, and seems to have some inner plates to help reinforce the corners.id like to get more room in the back and looks like it'll work; so what do u think?
    thx /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think you'll have to weld in some metal to help spread out the weight on the body

3. audacious

ya i was thinking of makeing inside supports for the arm mounts on the corners. to bring the stress off the body. maybe large bolted plating on the inside or bumper supported arm for the middle? i still need to take a good look at the way it is supported on the bronco.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You might need to beef the body supports more than normal if you're going to be carrying a 33" or larger spare. It's suprising how that little bit of extra weight can reshape the body panel mounting points. I picked up a rear bumper with a mounted swing-out carrier and it works great.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Valley equipment used to make one just for the blazers. This is what GM used(i think) when somebody wanted 1 from the "factory". They bolt on to the 1/4 panel and have plates that go inside. There is also another bracket that bolts to the gate. Easy 2 hr install. Although they don't make this product anymore, I have found them used on this site. I have bought 2 so far. They work good for stock tires, But I would be worried about anything larger than a 33 on an aluminum rim!! I put 1 on my 87 and after a bit, I noticed the bottom of the 1/4 panel was pulling out. If the floor wasn't so rotted out, I would have made a brace to hold the 1/4 in place!! but thats the only truck that I had a weight issue with.

Place an add in the "parts wanted" section. and keep your eye's in the "for sale" area.
    This is the tire carrier on my old 76.(recently sold, boohoo!!)
    [​IMG]

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

There are two flavours of that Valley Industries-style ... I think Hickey sold them Back In The Day, too, though I donno if Valley made them for everybody.

Anyway, there's the one bablazer73's pic shows, and there's a longer one (goes further to the left) to hold a gas can.

If you're using a big tire (i.e. bigger than stock) try and stick with the shorter one, or at least don't hang the forty or so pounds of gas can on it -- the longer lever and greater weight will yank on your qurter panel something fierce.

-- A

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have been thinking of getting one from a Jeep catalogue. Slides into receiver hitch and holds spare tire. Could probably make one with some square tubing and make it hinged with a second pin on vertical part so you can lay it down . Just thoughts /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. audacious

well evryone thanks for the ideas. i looked up the bronco idea and found that it would be a pain to do(too many modification). so im just gonna fab my own with the help of some welding friends. they said it would cost less and be alot stronger. im getting alot of the stuff (hangers and hub mount) from a local trailor dealer. thx again

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I installed a Bronco style tire carrier on my '84 Blazer. I had to add spacers for the top mount and the latch mechanism. I just bolted it on all the way through the corner post. It has held fine for 3 years now with a 31" tire and steel wheel. It has been leaned on and swung all the way open against the stop and I haven't had any problems. It is great for a cheap tire carrier. I do plan to make my own bumper mounted carrier in the future.

10. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

You want cheap? Buy a 4 tie down bundle and some duct tape /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 82 silverado 4x

82 silverado 4x Newbie

Blazer Chalet's had front bumper mounting carriers if you don't care which end of the truck you want to mount it.

12. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

bought a rear bumper from Kennesaw Mtn with spare tire carrier. saw it hear in ck5. It's a heavy duty piece of equipment. should hold any thing forever. but they are slow. dont be in a hurry