Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap supercharger?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Sep 9, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

where can i get a cheap super charger? I dont want to spend 1500 for a blower. Anybody know?

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Get a converter and plug in a circular fan into your intake /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

all you need is a 9/16th socket, a ski mask, flashlight and a crowbar...i know a ....uhhhh..."place" around the cornor /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

(disclaimer: J/K)

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The words cheap and supercharger dont belong in the same sentence. If you found one for 1500, your doing good. Most times by the time all is said and done your in the 5k range. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

to build a supercharged engine you MUST have the following:

a REALLY good block ($0 - $500)
    forged rotating assembly ($1000+)
    blower cam ($150+)
    worked heads for the massive flow in and out ($1000+)
    6/71 blower($1600+)
    linkages and misc. blower engine specific parts ($300+)
    Carbs or EFI (Carbs 500+ ; EFI $$$$$$)
    Hi voltage distributor & coil (300+)
    headers (150+)

these are all low-ball numbers, IMO. everyone "knows a friend of a friend" that runs 11's after spending only $2500, but that is far from reality for most of us.

All of those components (exact ot simular) to what i wrote are needed for reliability issues. you could get way with a low underdrive system for looks, then you *MIGHT* be able to scrimp on parts, but performance would suffer...

If you are gonna go, go big. and going big means big dollars. Dana 60's, Rockwells, Unimog axles are big...look what they cost. and 44" TSL aint cheap either.

it is a matter of scale. if you want big power, you need big stacks of money to get it.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

AHH The old addage. "How fast do you want to spend." /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, you could under-drive a centrifugal supercharger and get some good performance gains (50-100 hp and about that much (or more) torque, much of it down low) without going overboard on the engine build up. You could actually do pretty good on a basically stock smogger engine (low compression) but it would need some help on the exhaust side to help out (maybe combined with some older large chamber, large valve heads with the exhaust opened up and a 3 angle). To get max gains, yeah, it takes a wad. But, if (a mighty BIG IF) you could find/adapt a cheap used centrifugal blower (doesn’t require hood clearance, intake changes, etc.) then it could definitely wake up an otherwise sleepy engine cheaper than tons of internal mods. This would be the hot ticket up at high altitudes where normal aspiration barely works at all. But, you would have to keep the boost low or the engine goes “POP”!

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a little weiand or B&M or holley 142-144 ci blower falls under the $1500 mark and will make a boat load of power
    go buy Street Supercharging by HP Books

9. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you need more power for blasting through a mud pit or going up a sand dune why not get an Edelbrock Nitrous kit, I saw it advertised for $350 on JEG'S website. The 100 horsepower kit should be safe for an engine in good condition. Of course if you need a more constant power source this would not work.

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Cut out the middle man! Go to the local construction company, find a truck with a 6-71, or 8-71 Detroit engine. Borrow the supercharger off the truck, and your set! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif lol.
    Thats saving money! Oh, look out for the attack dogs!

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I guess that depends on what type of charger you are looking for. I had a 250 with one of the 144ci B@M chargers on it. didn't need to do anything to engine other that normal bolt-ons. worked fantastic. great HP gains. great throttle responce with stock q-jet. I bought mine used from a friend for 1,000, used it 2 years and sold it on ebay for 1,200!! my reserve was only 600, but I wasn't gonna argue!! If you plan on going bigger, well than plan on more!! I wouldn't try and use a truck charger. I can get all the ones you want, but by the time you get all the case ends, pully's intake, drives, and all the otherparts, you will have spent more than if you just bought a kit!! I have 4-71,6-71, 8-71, and 10-71. for cores. I can also get some huge torbo's from diesels. I sold mine so I could get the 454 I have now.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Good luck.

I would say Cheap=used. The only sure-fire way I can think of to score a used blower is to get an Eaton roots blower from a supercharged 3.8 Bonneville, Grand Prix, Regal or Riviera. But that might require a custom intake manifold.

And you haven't even gotten to hood clearance. Cheapest way there is a body lift. Then you have to drive it so find some dual serpentine setup and pulleys and try to use a stock belt from something. Since it's on the cheap, you'd better keep the boost down in the 4-5 psi range and run premium gas from now on to avoid massive engine modifications. Then get your carb tuned.

If there really was a cheap way to do it, many of would have done it already. But supercharging is still a cost-effective way to add power. If you want 100hp, for example, you might be able to do it cheaper by adding a blower than by buying all of the components needed for an all-engine solution.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

THROTTLE IN A BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    and a gear drive timing set /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif