Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheap two wheel drive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevidog, Jun 16, 2000.

1. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Probably been said before, but I wasn't listening. Would it be damageing to remove the front driveshaft in order to convert to two wheel drive. I will be hauling a trailer all summer and am getting about 8mpg w/o trailer in town. I don't mind having the full time 4wd, but I am looking for a cheap nondestructive way to get better gas mileage for the summer while pulling the trailer.

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Go for it, you won't damage anything. Just don't leave it that way forever, they aren't making any more K-5's!

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

I do it,never had a problem!!

BIGBLOCK MAN

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

One thing to think about, is that if you've still got full time 4wd, won't you need to keep it in lock to keep from just spinning the frontend of the case? The other is that I see a considerable decrease in miliage when I'm running down the road with my hubs locked. I'm still in 2wd, but with everything in the frontend still turning, I've got some drag.

I figure if you put it in lock, take out the front shaft, and put some locking hubs on it, you might see some increase in miliage. If you're gonna go through all that, it might be to your benifit to go ahead and slap a part time kit in the case and get it over with. My fulltime rig is getting cut apart right now so you know my feelings on it. I've got peices laying everywhere from it. I hated the damn thing. Got the torch out.

Just my thoughts

Kyle
    89K5

5. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Why not go and buy a part time convetion kit for your 203? They are cheap, and you will get locking hubs to boot. This way your front end will sit still when going down the road.