Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap way around Lockers? Mini Spools.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Oct 18, 2000.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Has anybody used or know of any experiences with mini spools while offroad'n.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I let my friend be the guiny pig on this. He is using a mini spool in a 12 bolt rear. I figured if he couldn't break then I would be fine. He has to have the big pedal mashed down 98% of the time or he isn't happy, even on rocks where you have to use finesse and patience, he just hammers it...

I will be using a mini spool in the rear and a full spool in the front.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -> http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Whats the difference? As far as I understand the full spool bolts to the ring and the mini spool does not, is this correct? also did your friend change his drivin habits because of the change over or is he just trying more challenging obsticles? Another thing whats his setup as far as tranny, tcase, and gears? Thx.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

4. Emmettology 101

A full spool replaces the enitre carrier and the mini spool installs similar to a lock right. A full spool is supposed to be the way to go, but with a 12 bolt rear you have c-clip and have to put a c-clip elimantor kit in and they are not good for off-road use. So for the 12 bolt the mini spool is the way to go and are only about $100.

My friend is running a 12 bolt rear with the mini spool and 4.56's. He is running a 350 with a TH 350 and a 203 case. I will be running a 350, th350, np208 and 4.10s in my 12 bolt for now. I will also be putting a full spool in the front...

He drives like a maniac! LOL He needs to get a sticker that says "All throttle, no brains!"(which he wants to get) He likes driving "Dukes of HAzard" style and is always on the throttle.

Let me know if you have anymore questions! :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You really can't get a full spool that works with C-clips? I guess you would have to use a Lincoln Locker, but either that or a mini-spool stills leaves the stock carrier in place, so I would go for the mini-spool since the price is right anyway.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

7. KING K5

KING K5 1/2 ton status

I'm not familiar with the "spool" way of locking up. Is this like putting a limited slip in or like a true locker??

8. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

a spool literally mates the two axles together to form one solid piece from the left wheel to the right. Its supposed to be stronger than a locker..but places all the stress else where..ring gears/pinion gears/yokes/drivelines/ujoints/tcases/trannies.

White Knight

9. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Just don't try to make any turns on pavement with a spool in!

10. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I put a mini spool in my dana 44 when I had one and it sucked balls. almost everytime i was in 4 wheel I broke
    a stub shaft. Also, trying to turn is a real joy, even
    when my wheels were turned, I went straight.

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I think I'm going for it. I've got manual hubs so I'm not to worried about the front as far as the blacktop is concerned and the back well I'm kinda worried but I have extra shafts. If it ends up costing me to much money on braking parts I can always pull em out. But at least I'll have experimented the spool thing. I plan on getting a 14corp & d60 real soon anyhow.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

12. Emmettology 101

So far I haven't been able to find a full spool for a c-clip axles. You would have to eliminate the c-clips and that isn't safe for off-road ue(using a c-clip eliminator kit)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

13. Emmettology 101

4Gunz, like I said before my buddy is really hard on his K5, he drives it like a race car on the street. He has that mini spool in the 12 bolt and has no problems. The tires do squeal a bit when turning, but no broken parts yet and he has had it in for about 4 months now.
    Also, Petersens did an article on spools and they never reported breakage. I think I Detroit is just as harsh if not worse on a rear end compared to a Spool. My .02 cents though.

Mike [​IMG]

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, I can't see how a spool would cause more broken parts than a locker, like the Detroit or Lock-Rite. Whenever you are supplying enough power to possible break an axleshaft (just doing a lock to lock turn under light throttle in dirt or grass shouldn't break anything) , the Detroit or Lock-Rite would be fully locked up also just like a spool.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I agree with 6.2. The advantage to the locker is that it will give less treadwear and should be more turn friendly.

I can't imagine putting spool in the front, though. When do you run in 4WD that you don't need to turn, other than mud bogs, maybe?

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Emmet
    yeah I read the same article last nite over at a freinds house, I also saw a lil spot in I think it was fourwheeler 12/99 issue last nite and it was a comparison on all the lockers. They were using a mini spool in the charts. It didn't sound to bad.

17. arnold88

arnold88 Registered Member

We've used them in our race car's 12 bolt rearend. We've never had a problem in a 1-1/2 of racing dirt oval. I would assume it would work just fine. I just wouldn't do any running on asphalt.

[​IMG] Great works are never finished [​IMG]

18. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I had a mini spool in my 12 bolt and loved it.It replaced a lock right.No poping.No clanging.No lane shifts.Any way if you are going around a corner with a locker it will only unlock when coasting usually not under power.I now have a welded 14 bolt and love it also.As for one in the front i don't think you would notice much difference.I have locker in the front of mine now and its a bitch too get around a tight corner but if you take it out of four wheel drive it will unlock.