Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheap winches -any good?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ankarback, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I've been looking at Warns budget winches (Tabor), Milemarker and T-max winches. They have really good prices but are they any good? I'm not using the winch very hard or very often but when I do need it I want it to work ok.
    Anyone here thats using any of theese winches?

2. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Not sure but another cheap winch I have seen is the Champion models. Cosco here in Canada sells there 8000lbs one with everthing you need to mount it an use it for $400. Now that is cheap, atleast for Canada it is. They got a 12000lbs one to but im not sure how much that one costs.

3. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Never heard of that one. I don't think they're sold in Sweden. Are they any good?. Does anyone know if Warns Tabor-series winches is the same as Milemarkers electric winches? They look similar.

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I've seen the champion winches at Sam's Club for $300 US. Harbor Freight has one also for under $300. Both are 8000lb winches. I guess this is a case of you get what you pay for.

5. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Actually the question was if anyone have tried Milemarker, Warn Tabor or T-max winches and if they are any good. No use in discussing champion winches when I can't buy them over here :D

6. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

The tabour,milemarker and the rep sereis winches are all entry level low dollar winches. They have smaller moters with less hp. The line speeds are very slow but they will get the job done. They are also not going to handle continued use like they higher quaility winches will. The tmax is a pretty nice unit and is a better quiality then the tabor,milemarker and rep series winches.

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I picked up a Superwinch EPi 9.0 for $500.00. New, in the box. Installing it tomorrow and heading up north on Wednesday. I'll post my results when I return in a week.

8. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I think the Tabor used to be called Magnum...For what it's worth.:)

9. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

That's good to know, I thought they were about the same because they are priced similar here in Sweden. Thanks for the info.