Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheaper to Buy or Fix?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I've got a stock front axle on my 79 4x4. It needs the following things, per a garage i trust.

Both Rear Axle bearings@Seals (rear)
    Inner and outer Wheel bearings@ Seals(Front)
    Both Front axle joints
    All three front driveshaft Ujoints
    1 set screw for rear spider gear pin.

Sounds like BIG money, but if i fix it, i wont have to worry about having to do the same stuff to a different axle, just wanted your thoughts on this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

My suggestion would be to just rebuild it yourself, then you know what's been done and what hasn't and you'll save yourself from being ripped off in the long run because it's very easy for some clowns out there to tell you it's been rebuilt when it hasn't or for some shop to hose you.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Actually none of that stuff is too terribly hard to do yourself with the proper tools.

If you trust the shop then the parts probably do need to be replaced, and if you can't or don't want to do it yourself then I'd say have it done by them. Unless a D60 is in the near future. Even then I wouldn't let the bearings and seals go for too long or else you won't be able to drive at all! I'm sure you know all this so I'd just go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It really shouldn't be that expensive unless they jack up the price of parts too high, in which case I say bring in your own bearings, seals and u-joints and tell them thats what you want put in. Most shops I've delt with don't mind this too much, as long as your cool about it and don't try to look like your getting over on them.
    Then all you have to worry about it the cost of labor, and that shouldn't be too bad for the work your asking for.

Hope that helps

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sound sliek easy fixes to me, just bearings and U joints and a screw? that all could be fixed in about two hours tops if youre good /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

have you checked on prices for those parts yet ? they cant be too much price /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good luck

5. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sound sliek easy fixes to me, just bearings and U joints and a screw? that all could be fixed in about two hours tops if youre good

[/ QUOTE ]

Me not good /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif lol

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Im sure some one from this board would be willing to give you a hand.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where do you live? This is all very easy work with the right tools like said above. I have every tool needed to do almost any repair you could ask about.

8. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'm in Tennessee, when i get some bills squared away i'm gonna drop it at a garage an let them have at it. I dont use my truck as a daily driver anymore, I have a county owned car i use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif