Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheapest 5 Speed Transmission in 68 C10?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bpiccioni, Dec 21, 2003.

1. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I have a friend in Anchorage Alaska who wants to upgrade his 68 C10 to a 4 or 5 (preferred) speed manual transmission to replace a 3 Speed Muncie, shifted on the column, tree style. What's the cheapest solution?

2. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The SM465 for a 4 speed should be able to find one cheap. And a NV4500 for the 5 speed but its expensive like 800 to 1000 dollars if your lucky.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and plus 5 speed wont be direct bolt in like a SM420 or SM465 or NP 435 or NV 435CR would be, except for having to find exact driveline for that particular model and year and wheelbase and axle model and all. haha good luck

with a 465 all you would need in order to swap from three speed manual to four speed manual is the 465 tranny and then a tranny tunnel center floor pan for four speed 67-72 trucks, i have one right now and a boot and ring too i believe.

what tranny is in the truck right now, is it the three speed with four side cover bolts or seven ?

if is seven then you can use original bellhousing and mounts and cluth l;inkage and everything

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Im not sure what tranny is in the truck at the moment - I just remember that we got a 3 speed manual, possibly a Muncie, out of a junkyard and put it in about 8 yrs ago.

We just got a huge dump of snow here, about 4 feet in the last 2 weeks, so I dont have any plans to go and dig a way under the C10 and see.